Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Impala- "Lemon Twist"... Finished 12/19

jaymcminn

So I was actually able to get some work done over the last couple of days... the motor was painted Inca Gold. I debated replacing the undersized kit distributor but eventually wound up using it- drilled, with white plug wires. I scratchbuilt a coil and added a fuel line as well as finding a nice air filter in the parts box, but otherwise it's out of the box.

DSCN1359.jpg

DSCN1365.jpg

Next I moved onto the interior. I mixed this creamy pale yellow base color with Testors acrylics...

DSCN1351.jpg

Then I masked the outline of the seat inserts with Bare-Metal Foil and painted the inserts white...

DSCN1354.jpg

and then I masked off the stripes, spraying them in bright yellow and brown.

DSCN1356.jpg

To be honest, I don't think an actual customizer in the '60's would have painstakingly reproduced the stock upholstery pattern in different colors, as tuck-n-roll upholstery was a lot more common back then, but I really like the effect and the colors really work with the exterior. Next step is to finish the interior and start on the chassis!

was the 348 the same block as the 409? i always thought they were, just the displacement difference from boring and/or stroking?

i agree with you though that a street mill would probably be more appropriate. tri-power does come to mind.

Yes, the 409 was a bored/stroked 348. Externally they were nearly identical.

Latest update... I finished the interior/engine bay/trunk unit. Next up is to mount this into the body shell. I foiled and applied the chrome trim pieces to the body (what a nightmare!) but don't have a pic of that up just yet. The chassis is nearly there- I used the lowered front suspension holes and had to raise the rear suspension by about 3 scale inches to give it the right rake. Final assembly should be tonight or tomorrow- in the meantime here are pics of the completed interior, with floor shift and parts-box steering wheel with "wood" rim.

DSCN1369.jpg

DSCN1368.jpg

DSCN1366.jpg