Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dr. Cranky

I've been painting bodies for this whole month so far, and I hope to do a few more before the Holidays get here. Here are some of the victims EYEGORE has helped me bring in out of the cold! :o

It all started with these two late last month:

021-vi.jpg

The graphics are fun, but what takes a little bit of time is the clear, then the polishing and buffing.

024-vi.jpg

Here's the Riv I've been working on . . . all the graphic work is done with House of Kolor, starting with a black base coat and then using both Craig Fraser and Mike Levalle templates and thinned out silver, I did the graphics, then laid down some different colored candies. The paint is finished with pearl flakes and DuPlicolor EFFEX.

007-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Moving on, the I got the 69 Nova done strictly with enamels done, buffed and polished . . . and this build almost didn't happen because I made the mistake of using a little HOK post sanding cleaner and it almost removed the paint, luckily it had enough clear on there already. The stars are subtle on purpose because this one is going to have some decal work done . . .

012-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

016-vi.jpg

The pictures really don't do these paint jobs justice. They are mirror smooth and glowing with shine . . .

017-vi.jpg

And the fun continues . . .

Here's a 56 Del Ray that turned out well in spite of the fact that I made the mistake of shooting Duplicolor Flakes (from a quart I bought at an Auto Parts store) and come to realize the flakes are too big. I thought they were like the Duplicolor Paint EFFEX, but they are not, they are larger . . .

The model really POPs in person . . .

21-vi.jpg

The layers of paint includes two different types of marbelizers, lace work and template graphics, some taping, and lots and lots of flakes. Some candies too:

022-vi.jpg

Here's a better angle on the shiny and this one I have not sanded or polished out yet . . . .

023-vi.jpg

25-vi.jpg

The reason why I don't recommend using large flakes is that they LOOK OUT OF SCALE and make he paint job look weird!

I am going to start working on all of them in the new year, beginning with these:

I put my finger in the pic so that it would show the shine, like this:

038-vi.jpg

037-vi.jpg

Here's the second 41 Willys:

039-vi.jpg

040-vi.jpg

043-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in for more, the Fords are coming up . . .

LOL, I am going to have to send EYEGORE to BMF school so that he can get really good at foiling! :lol:

Thanks, Jim. You know what I'm going to say, right? Half of me says LONG LIVE RUST, and the other says LONG LIVE SHINEY! LOL!

Niko, I haven't had any problem with the 3M masking tape I use, which I cut to size on a mirror using a very sharp blade. It work. Also, once I lay all the tape down, I fog in a little clear to seal holes, etc . . .

Some of the above paint jobs did not require any kind of taping. I use the templates free hand, etc . . .

Whoa!! That's a quite a bit of bodies. :o Looks like someone was having TONS-O-FUN!!

AWESOME JOB as usual, Doc... They all look FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing the yummy "Candy"!

Thanks, Jim. You know what I'm going to say, right? Half of me says LONG LIVE RUST, and the other says LONG LIVE SHINEY! LOL!

Sounds like you have EYE-GORE on one shoulder for sure... but who's on the other? :lol: