Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airless Tire?

Actually a solid rubber tire was used before air filled tires; apparently you can't go as fast with a solid rubber tire. They are still used for fork lifts and stuff.

I already knew they had those, I just don't know why they were never put to use on cars. Maybe the speed issue is due to the added weight?

The main issue with running solid rubber tires is they lack the compressability of regular air-filled tires, and hence transmit more shock to the suspension and body of the vehicle. The ride over a rough road would be really jarring since the tire would act like a solid rod between the road and axle rather than a second shock absorber. The "airless tires" allow for no air pressure needed, while at the same time providing support that can absorb shock.

If you "Google " solid rubber tires , over the years , several designs have been incoorperated into the sidewalls as roads in the early 20's were awful. A "Non " pneumatic tire would certainly be an advantage . However , the punisment transmited into the cab leaves me very unsure . Ed Shaver

I'm not sure about this. It seems as though you need the "rim" and tire assembly. What does this mean for your hubs? or is it that they will make different styles for all cars maybe? This doesn't seen like an cheaper alternative either. Go ahead and scape a curb with that thing while parking and let me know how well that resin holds up!! This design is still going to give your car a more ridged ride. There is no substitute for a pneumatic tire IMO.

As stated above forklifts use a solid tire. These tires would not hold up to auto use. The heat alone will cause tire failure. They fail from heat already on forklifts and forklifts only travel about 6mph. Cars travel much faster and generate more heat. Also too road surfaces are much more rugged than what you would find in a forklift atmosphere. But not all forklifts use solid tires. They can also have pneumatic tires. It does give the forklift a much better ride (as forklifts don't have suspension) but they also deal with flat tires. In the forklift industry they offer a slime filled as opposed to air filled for the pneumatic tire. Some folks use it but it is a very expensive alternative. Can't really compare forklifts to cars. Its apples and oranges.

I do think that its not a total waist to find an alternative for tires. Tire are getting outrageous in price! I've been finding shops lately that sell good used tires. The treads and manufacture don't always match up but and the significantly less cost it doesn't bother me.