Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Gasser Inspiration

Dr. Cranky

Think I posted this before, but in my opinion the most beautiful gasser ever! Candy magenta, gold, and polished Americans........oooooooooooooooooooo!! Was supposed to be the "Mind Bender" but the guy doing the lettering got it wrong, and it instantly became a classic!

sw4-vi.jpg

sw9-vi.jpg

Think I posted this before, but in my opinion the most beautiful gasser ever! Candy magenta, gold, and polished Americans........oooooooooooooooooooo!! Was supposed to be the "Mind Bender" but the guy doing the lettering got it wrong, and it instantly became a classic!

Geez...I'll bet the guy paying the bill for the lettering job was pretty angry when he first saw that spelling error!

I guess I'm a purist because to me...these so called "Nostalgia" gassers are about as far removed from being a Gasser as you can get. They aren't gassers at all...they're funny cars! They have glass flip top bodies, they run full tube chassis, they have no street equipment at all, no lights and they could not possibly be run on the street. The original premise of the gas classes was that the cars had to run all street legal equipment and be legal to run on the street. These things you've brought up are purpose built drag cars and IMO are Pro Mods...in spite of what moniker NHRA chooses to place on them for the purposes of crowd pleasing!

Now...lest ye be put off by my thoughts here...I didn't say I did not like them. On the contrary... they are awesome race cars. But lets call a spade a spade and get real here...they are not gassers! And they ESPECIALLY are not nostalgic!

Me thinks the term "nostalgia" and "gassers" refers to the 60's thru maybe 1970-ish. The advent of the Malco Gasser mustang, Fred Hurst 'Cuda, and when S-W-C started running an A/FX Mustang pretty much ended the era of traditional gassers.

Malco gasser

droppedImage.jpg

Fred Hurst, ck out the A/G 1164 on the windshield!

fredhurst2.jpg

And finally the Pebble, Pulp, and Chef Mustang A/FX

StoneWoodsCook_Funny67_CBaad_400_x_291.jpg

Gasser: stock frame, stock wheelbase, ride height level tho can be raised, certain functional street equipment, headlights, taillights, grille and radiator, self starting, NO wire wheels, bla bla bla. See here: http://gassermadness...php?topic=190.0

A "nostalgia" gasser with tubs and a pro mod motor is about as close to a "real" nostalgic gasser as a "nostalgic" FED is to a vintage rail. This is a vintage rail, IMHO the most beautiful dragster ever, not to outshine the Magicar.

Smirnoff.jpg

The Magicar, and my avatar:

IMG_7580-Magicar-%26-Rick.jpg

This is a nostalgia rail. If you cant tell the difference you need to be building tuners. Pardon me for the attitude.

TF-500-home.jpg

Dave is pretty much the only guy I know of here that actually builds ,owns and drives Drag cars. I'd tend to take what he has to say about these things as concrete. I know that Dvae dosent just post things just to be posting, He is a man of reserch and will post his findings. This is what I happen to know of one guy though. What I failed to see is anyone posting what a actual gasser is or what classifiys a car as being a gasser. With all that said , there isnt one picture here that I havent enjoyed seeing weather its a gasser or not.

Good point Dave! Perhaps I get "vintage" " nostalgic" and "nostalgia" confused. But when I see a low slung pro-mod-ish, tubbed car with a radically altered fiberglass or carbon shell, it screams " current" vs vintage. Personally I do not like the nostalgia gassers, but love the old vintage stuff. Maybe the Doc should have clarified the topic vintage vs nostagia vs nostalgic! I lost the pic I posted, but heres another with the headlights! Are we like, piccyunish with the particulars? Sheesh!

StoneWoodsCook_700.jpg

Edited by Draggon

Guys...just a quick point. The pics of the SWC car with out all the required gasser "hardware" shows one of SWC's many cars in match race trim. This a great thread and the "conversation" just keeps it interesting B)

Aloha...Pete

Edited by Flatout

Wow! Well I dont mean to stoke any fires, but to me, they are all beautiful. Did anybody else catch the March Meet last weekend on BangShift.com? They had a live broadcast all day on both Sat and Sun. I LOVED IT!!! I have to say that while I love the Top Fuel and Funny Car Classes, (got to watch Doug "Cookie" Cook's grandson make his license runs in the "new" Stone, Woods, and Cook Dark Horse 2 F/C) the Gas classes were the most competitive. Although it took me awhile to get used to the index system. A/G = 7.60, B/G = 8.60, C/G = 9.60, D/G = 10.60. With a heads up start, these were some of the closest races all weekend. Oh, Nostalgia Eliminator was cool to. (Run what you brung as long as it was center steer) I cant wait for next year.