Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gene Winfield vidieo

• 7 years later...

The narration leaves a lot to be desired, but this is a nice, recent tour through Gene Winfield's shop, showing many of his vehicles, including the Reactor:

Another, also featuring the Reactor and Strip Star, which wears Terra Thrust wheels:

Another one of the all-time greats, and one of my heroes. Last time I was in Mojave, I missed him. I hope to get to shake his hand at some point.

He broke his hip in Finland a while back, and had to be flown back to the States under special conditions; I don't know how he's doing.

Anybody?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a23747237/gene-winfield-gofundme/

If you can stomach listening to a somewhat annoying podcast, this page has some audio with Gene Winfield explaining the incident (around the 6:25 mark):

https://knx1070.radio.com/media/audio-channel/tac-126-randy-has-car-all-star-report-sema-gene-winfield-his-fall-finland

In short, he was in Finland to be inducted into the first annual European Hall of Fame (with some other names we'd all recognize like John D'Agostino, Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Shine); he tripped on a power cable, fractured his hip, had surgery, and the GoFundMe helped him get an expensive medical flight home (he already had pneumonia and air travel can complicate that). 

He made it to the SEMA show after all of this, and last I heard is apparently recovering. I saw a couple photos from the show and he looked pretty good, so he's hoping the recovery is going as well as could be hoped.

"I'm gonna keep going no matter what"--Gene Winfield