Model Cars Magazine Forum

With all the repops, could this kit be reissued?

I know the most recent reissue (2002-ish?) had quite a few of the original Ala Kart parts in it, almost enough of them to build the Ala Kart in fact. I'd like to see them bring it back as a double kit, but being they have the newer-tool Ala Kart kit in the stash as well, I don't know how likely it would be. I suppose it would be a question of how much it would cost to restore the original molds as opposed to just reissuing the second Ala Kart kit.

I would much rather see the 1927 Model T / XR-6 double kit reissued. If I remember right there are parts of the Ala Kart tooling that is missing/damaged, that is why they did an all new tool, which has a few issues but is worth it just for the wheels and tires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AMT-XR6-ROADSTER-1927-T-FORD-PLASTIC-MODEL-/280768849631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415f20a6df

ALL remaining double kits should be reissued. Actually, all Trophy Kits, when I think of it.

Alas, with the Ala-Kart I see little chance, since it was reincarnated with this oddly soulless new tool a few years back.

May I ask which reissue exactly is referred to, that has 'almost' all Ala-Kart pieces in it? Maybe the remainder can be kitbashed from the new tool?

Edited by Junkman

That's also the reason the second one was made from new molds. However the second issue was worse than the first. Remember though The ala Kart parts appeared in for more issues of the next few years. and still a few of the original parts appeared in the latest '29 Model A Kit. issued e few years ago.

Both the old and the new ala cart hat issues, and neither built up as an exact replica of the 1:1. But to answer your question, yes with todays reverse engineering technology they could do it, but the question is would they? I wouldn't hold your breath, but they said the same thing about the rommels rod and tijuana taxi a few years agao, so you never know.

That would neat to see come back remember that kit when i was a kid. Me and my dad build it together. Would love see them bring out some of the old pro stocks to like Dick landy,Bill jenkins etc.

John Pol

I contacted them earlier this year about just that. they may be releasing many of the older MPC Pro Stock kits in the next few years

Some essential body parts for the original Ala Kart that was doubled with the '29 A roadster were removed from the tooling back in the late 1960's, at a time when old show cars such as Ala Kart had lost, seemingly, their market appeal as model car kits. That happened a lot back then, at a time when almost nobody ever expected to see the return of adult modelers who'd been model car builders as kids in those years.

Bear in mind, in the 1960's, nostalgia for most things out of the past was pretty much limited to antique brass era cars and the cars of the Classic Era 1925-48, antique furniture, old coins and stamps, and a few of the early toy train sets from the 1920's through the 30's. Almost no one back in that decade ever really gave thought to the idea that come 20, 30, 40,50 years later, the model car kits produced in that decade would appreciate to almost insane values today.

Art

One of the most iconic rods of all time for me was the Ala Kart. After four years of research and many telephone calls to the builders and AMT, much modification and scratchbuilding and a First in class award at the GSL Here's what can be done with the Original issue of the ala kart.

030-2.jpg028-2.jpg027.jpg026-2.jpg