Model Cars Magazine Forum

Subscription Questions

First question/issue: The Golden Bell Press website has been suspended. Does this indicate problems with the publisher? Will the magazine still get published?

Second question: Why is there such a large price differential between betting the magazine sent to a US address and a Canadian address (that is within 2 hours of the US)? Tracking down each issue is a lot easier for me than paying $65 upfront...

I'll check the site, it's hosted by Golden Bell Press, not me.

I know they said that the host was having problems.

As for the price difference, that's all the "fault" of the post office.

Their rates for periodicals across the border is outrageous, and the fact that it takes three weeks to get that two hours over!!!

I hear you on that.

That's why I have been quietly asking for the opinions about digital versions for those across the borders.

Still working on that.

Gregg,

Do you know if it is carried by anyone in Vancouver Canada?

I would like to read the magazine but would prefer to pick it up monthly after hearing all of the nightmare stories from those who are receiving it in the mail here in Canada.

Rob

Which nightmare stories? I've been a subscriber for a while now, when i receive it in the mail it's fine, even the envelope is in perfect condition!

Chris,

You do know I bring MCM into the shop here. Can easily get it from me. Usually get 2-3 extra issues everytime it is released. If you want me to put you on the subscriber list, just say the word. $7.50CDN per issue.

Sounds good, Scott! I wasn't sure if you stocked it regularly or if the issue I picked up was an experiment on your part... :D

Chris, thanks for the support. One thing I'm going to get out to all the hobby shops is a request that we increase your copies you receive up until you are returning at the most three copies average per issue. That way, it's a win-win situation: customers will be able to get their copies of the magazine, you don't lose sales, and of course, more customers will come into the store. I plan on sending this letter and/or email out in a very short while. I'm also working on getting the digital sample copy updated.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/156.html

You can zoom in.

Well were is the digital version ? Looked all over can't find it and I personally rather read it in a digital format , and yes Im a

subscriber .

Ok I found it ..

edited due to lack of brain cells once again !

Edited by heatride

Digital would be a blessing Greg and a jump, I believe, on the competition. I know, what competition. I opened my email last night and there were the notices that my Hemming Muscle Machine and Classic Car were ready for download in PDF format. Within a few minutes I was reading the new issues To me, it's the only way to go.

What is your preference for reading the digital versions. Do you want to just download the PDF, or have it like the one I do now, the "Flip Book" style?

I tried ZINIO, but they don't look at me yet (They will, everyone will soon!!!!,... oops, sorry Harry....)

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions...

I've been a subscriber and NOT a subscriber for as long as the Magazine has been published. I'm tired of spending good money for a magazine that arrives with the cover trashed by mail handliers. I've been subscribing to digital magazines on Zino for 2 years now and love it. I love not having a digital version that I can access via the web, never loose a copy and don't take up more space.I can print out the pages I want if I need reference at my bench. Keep beating on Zinio Gregg they are the best digital publishers out there. Even your competition uses them. Sorry I'm not a subscriber of the best modeling magazine.I'd like to be again.

Vince, I'm hurt, you don't love me like you said you did, so many years ago.....

:-)

Vince, I don't understand this quote:

I love not having a digital version that I can access via the web,

What do you think of the Flip Book one I made?

I'm still working on the iPad/mobile versions.

Hopefully soon.

If we switch to different layout programs, that will help in the converting to digital. That's another story.

I don't understand much of this lingo. I don't ipad or facebook. The sample version you posted, Gregg, was very cool. I liked the page turning sound. However, I have nothing to compare it too since I don't do digital magazines. And I never heard of zino.

Get that filter!!

Greg, Hemming has both the flip version on their website as well as the ability to download a PDF. They archive 4 issues back. I prefer to download the PDF as I can read it anytime and print out an article if I want to take it somewhere. Also, the mag can be accessed from anywhere you can get the internet, like a cell phone etc.

I prefer to download the PDF as I can read it anytime and print out an article if I want to take it somewhere. Also, the mag can be accessed from anywhere you can get the internet, like a cell phone etc.

Same here like Doug said print and go ...... Even a Cajun can do it !! :P

Chris, thanks for the support. One thing I'm going to get out to all the hobby shops is a request that we increase your copies you receive up until you are returning at the most three copies average per issue. That way, it's a win-win situation: customers will be able to get their copies of the magazine, you don't lose sales, and of course, more customers will come into the store. I plan on sending this letter and/or email out in a very short while. I'm also working on getting the digital sample copy updated.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/156.html

Gregg, I didn't realize that this was an option, not that I usually ever have any left, but Golden Bell Press has never mentioned anything about this to me, as a Hobby Shop, you would think they would....

One thing that I do find a problem with is getting back issues. I have asked in the past and it was never an issue, but the last time (about a month ago) they gave me a run around about getting a back issue. Customer had missed getting the previous issue and asked if I could get one. When I asked about it, GBP told me I would have to pay the retail price for the back issue, and it would have to be shipped separately from my normal order, with a separate shipping charge, as opposed to just popping it in the box when the next new issue was shipped. They gave me the excuse that it had to do with USPS (I am in Canada, but live close to the border and the magazines are shipped to my US Postal box), and that they weighed each package to make sure there wasn't anything extra in the box that shouldn't be there. I had said that if there was a difference in shipping of 12 issues vs 13 issues, that I would pay the difference no problem, but had no interest in paying a separate shipping charge for just one issue, and at retail vs the usual dealer cost. All seems a little excessive for a shop to just get a back issue for a customer.