Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

• 2 weeks later...

Just started on this one. Needless to say, the kit wheels were way too small! :(

Mock2.jpg

Mock9.jpg

Mock11.jpg

The wheel on the left scales out to a little more than 46" versus the kit tire on the right. Hopefully that'll be high enough to keep them from climbing in! :D

Surprisingly enough, the kit axles fit the hubs.

Mock17.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I don't know the history of the kit, it's just been in my stash for about 10 years. I was disappointed with how small the kits tires were so I took a stroll around the car section at Wal-Mart and found the Tonka metal body trucks. I thought the tire size would be great for this build.

Here's a link to them: http://www.funrise.com/listing.aspx?id=68

I got a little surgery started. Opened the wheel wells, the fuel filler door, and the model in exhaust (sorry about the pics, I couldn't find my tripod).

Before:

Cut2.jpg

After:

Cut5.jpg

Needless to say, I have some clean-up and reconstruction (and some more cutting) to do.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS YOU CAN USE: Greetings all lovers of Post-Apocalypse/Zombie Hunting/DYSTOPIAN UNIVERSES: If you have or are in the process of building a model or diorama in this theme (we welcome Sci-Fi and Fantasy as well), please send us high quality photos of your work (FINISHED). We would love to feature YOUR WORK a book Doctor Cranky is writing and which will be published in the summer of next year. NOTE: Please send us between 3-6 HIGH RESOLUTION pictures of your models/diorama, a brief description in your own words, and your complete shipping address and email. You can mail your submissions electronically to either Doctor Cranky (vsuarez666@aol.com) or EYEGORE (harrypri@att.net). If you have any quesitons, we'll be more than happy to answer them. THANK YOU.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting back to the Bronco. Trying to put together a monster motor..

Using the Bronco's engine/transmission, and the heads/intake setup from the '57 Chevy Pro-Sportsman ( No, I don't care that it's a Ford block and Chevy heads!.. its only plastic :P ) The intake and heads for the Bronco were awfully small looking for this build.

Hope it looks like it'll be a big enough torque monster!!!

3c26cc1d-bbc8-4a4c-970a-b8d6992a2fbc.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

I've decided to join the fun. Doing a 1956 Ford F100 Post Apoc Raider vehicle. Didn't have a plan when I started but its coming together.

I've since made the wheels look worn. Trying to finish up now but I have to make the steering wheel fit now that it has a 427 SOHC engine in it there isn't room for the steering shaft. Oh well, part of the fun.

worn2014-09-21153218_zps268e88dd.jpg

2014-09-21151953_zps4c611219.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Once again, I remind everyone of this as the year begins to wrap up with all the Holidays:

NEWS YOU CAN USE: Greetings all lovers of Post-Apocalypse/Zombie Hunting/DYSTOPIAN UNIVERSES: If you have or are in the process of building a model or diorama in this theme (we welcome Sci-Fi and Fantasy as well), please send us high quality photos of your work (FINISHED). We would love to feature YOUR WORK a book Doctor Cranky is writing and which will be published in the summer of next year. NOTE: Please send us between 3-6 HIGH RESOLUTION pictures of your models/diorama, a brief description in your own words, and your complete shipping address and email. You can mail your submissions electronically to either Doctor Cranky (vsuarez666@aol.com) or EYEGORE (harrypri@att.net). If you have any quesitons, we'll be more than happy to answer them. THANK YOU.

• 2 months later...

Where'd everyone go?

Mad Police Venus (Toyota Supra 1982-ish?) in progress

102_2600_zpsiextn08z.jpg

The steering wheel broke, I will fix it when I add the driver figure in place. The black plastic on these kits are brittle, and I'm pretty sure this and the last Destroyer I built, the wheel snapped when I removed it from the sprue.

102_2601_zps9ig17xhy.jpg

102_2602_zps3euqfccx.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to post where I am on the Datsun 720 pickup. It's got some details that need added. Mostly wiring, which I've never bothered with before, but there's too much exposed not to on this.

102_2650_zpsckzrgrsn.jpg

102_2645_zps2w5vofkp.jpg

I got this as a junk body, but the window part of the cab is missing. Thinking of adding some sort of fabric cover... :unsure:

102_2648_zps5dqdmqlp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...