Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built Distributor

I have done this once and it turned out really good. You will need: a small vice, a drill press, a coarse metal file, a fine metal file, some small drill bits and some small self tapping screws.

Take the vice and put the coarse file in it with the wide side facing you. Put the vice on the drill press and put the screw head in the drill press. Turnn on the drill press and pull it down and push against the vice filing the screw threads down. After you get the threads filed down and to where it will fit in the engine flip the screw around in the drill press and round the head off. Take the file out of the vice and turn it facing the ceiling and file the head down to scale. Repeat the process again with the fine file to smooth it out some. Next take the right sized drill bit and drill the holes fore the wires and paint if you want.

Come on over to the Florida Auto & Scale Trucks (FAST) meeting tomorrow morning. After the business portion of the meeting we'er going to have a scratch built distributor tutorial covering 3 different approaches. Somebody already posted building distributors from Evergreen rod and half rounds. Pretty good but drilling all those little holes is difficult for me. I prefer the Fatkidd method.

???? !!!!

That's a nice invatation you gave there CrazyJim.

If it were to me

Personally I'd say thanks.

Nothing like seeing a job done 1st. hand.

I've done a couple dizzys with the crimp on wire terminal ends.. I got a pack of them cheap.. it looks pretty convincing compared to a screw. you have to cut them down to size, but you can crimp the wires in .no glue.

good idea! How well does this type of plastic respond to glue? CA I assume.

These look like they could be used for a variety of parts. I think I see a generator in there, maybe a magneto, fuel pump, etc.

Edited by Alyn

I've done a couple dizzys with the crimp on wire terminal ends.. I got a pack of them cheap.. it looks pretty convincing compared to a screw. you have to cut them down to size, but you can crimp the wires in .no glue.

I LIKE IT! Would some place like Home Depot have these or would I need to check an electrical supply store?

I purchased an assortment pack at the electrical supply store , the ones I use have hollow round shaft instead of the tapered and split crimp type shaft in the photo I first posted, I use epoxy with them. they go from very tiny to quite large with different shapes

look for "wire ferrules"

1282627590788_hz-myalibaba-web7_1686.jpg