Model Cars Magazine Forum

Test Shots and Other Parts Oddities

That 1973-1974 (technically, 1973 -- last year for the cowl vents) 'Runner bonnet looks right at home on that '72. I wonder if it was slated for the 1972 models, but was shelved until the 1973 refreshening? Lots of proposed 1972 B-body updates were dumped hard by Chrysler (unique side markers vs. the 'generic' lamps; 440+6 engine [there were, what, five produced in total?]; cleaner spoilers [not those tacky pedestal things]; many 1971-only colours which apparently sold poorly [GW3, GB7, GY3, etc.] ). 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

That 1973-1974 (technically, 1973 -- last year for the cowl vents) 'Runner bonnet looks right at home on that '72.

I was thinking the opposite. The bird bath/Road Runner hood is perfection, especially paired with tank track stripes emanating from them, spilling down the fenders. 🤤

Other than the ramps/bulges hood and dual quad (or is it a high rise tunnel ram style?) intake manifold, which other unique parts are in that lot?

22 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

My sister drove a 72 Satellite for a few years. a 318 car nothing special. I don't recall the hood having the bird bath's. Am I wrong on this or were there flat hoods ? 

The 1:1 Satellite never had the Road Runner hood which was included with Monogram's '71 Satellite kit. Hart's Parts has long offered the Satellite hood, however:

https://hartspartsresin.com/product/71-plymouth-satellite-hood/

Revelle-1971-Satellite-Hood.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

My sister drove a 72 Satellite for a few years. a 318 car nothing special. I don't recall the hood having the bird bath's. Am I wrong on this or were there flat hoods ?  Are there grill out there for this car or not?

The base “flat” hood is more or less like Casey’s picture. The master is a bit wrong at the back end, there should not be a bump on that edge just after the cowl vents, that area was flat with the cowl vent area on the standard hood. The standard hood was available on 2 door Satellite Models except for the Road Runner and GTX. 

To my knowledge, the twin scoop/ birdbath hood was not available on any Satellite model except for the Road Runner and GTX- that was the standard hood for both of those models. You might have been able to talk a dealer into swapping one onto your new Satellite, however (for the right price). Back then, dealers would do a lot more to make a sale. ;)

The fresh air “Air Grabber” hood was a standard Satellite hood that had a hole cut in the middle, with a Fiberglas dome, trap door, lower air cleaner surround, and mechanisms added. 

Grilles for ‘71 were the same across the board. The only differences were the paint treatments (light silver for Satellites and Satellite Sebrings, black and dark argent for Satellite Sebring Plus, Road Runner and GTX models), and emblems. You either got a “Plymouth” nameplate (base cars), a red/white/blue rectangular emblem (Satellite Sebring and Sebring Plus), Road Runner head, or GTX nameplate in the middle of the grille. They all might have had different part numbers, but they were all essentially the same 3 piece plastic grille. 

For ‘72, the grilles more or less followed the same ‘71 scheme (with the same or very nearly the same grille as in ‘71), except that ‘72 Road Runners got their own swoopier new grille, and the GTX was no longer a separate model (in ‘72, GTX’s were basically 440 equipped Road Runners). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Other than the ramps/bulges hood and dual quad (or is it a high rise tunnel ram style?) intake manifold, which other unique parts are in that lot?

More, standard fare '71 Satellite parts. Everything moulded in --what I've dubbed-- "1970 GTX Blue" :

- Three interior tubs (with the Satellite / Road Runner door panels)

- One complete engine block/transmission halves (left & right halves; one right-side-only half, too)

- Two "Bird bath" hoods 

- Two left-side O/S rear view mirrors 

- One complete pair of bucket seats

- Other misc. engine accessories, body panels, etc.

- Two sets of steering wheels / columns

Nothing unique other than the two exact same 'Pro Stock' type hoods. The high rise intake is later-seventies type (progression of the 'equal-length-runners' induction of c.1970) . No carburetors nor 'spark arrester' air cleaners; just the high rise its self. 

I'm glad that I was able to purchase this test shot set. I've always favoured the base model interior tub, plain dashboard, and mid-level steering wheel (which isn't to say that I don't like the updated interior from the GTX issue: the Tuff-Grip wheel and the 'GTX' embellished dashboard) . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

To my knowledge, the twin scoop/ birdbath hood was not available on any Satellite model except for the Road Runner and GTX- that was the standard hood for both of those models. You might have been able to talk a dealer into swapping one onto your new Satellite, however (for the right price). Back then, dealers would do a lot more to make a sale

I've long wondered about the 1971 Satellite in the original (and onlyGone in 60 Seconds! . It has the "bird bath" bonnet (with '383' callouts), but the rest of the car is pure Satellite. 

Given that the car was only a couple of years old at best when that film was produced, it begs the question: was that hood added to the car to fluff it up for the movie? Was it a special order? 

1971-satellite-front.jpg.771ac0ba85f8011ec156108372a77174.jpg1971-satellite-side.jpg.b11da6ae46f918b6f0e5a5f0fcc296ca.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 9:29 PM, 1972coronet said:

I've long wondered about the 1971 Satellite in the original (and onlyGone in 60 Seconds! . It has the "bird bath" bonnet (with '383' callouts), but the rest of the car is pure Satellite. 

Given that the car was only a couple of years old at best when that film was produced, it begs the question: was that hood added to the car to fluff it up for the movie? Was it a special order? 

1971-satellite-front.jpg.771ac0ba85f8011ec156108372a77174.jpg1971-satellite-side.jpg.b11da6ae46f918b6f0e5a5f0fcc296ca.jpg

My educated guess is: that car was a ‘71 Satellite Sebring Plus with a Road Runner hood and grille bird added. 

The rocker trim moulding is the wide (2” plus) flat style that was SSP only that year. GTX’s had a wide moulding but with ribs, like in the revised kit. Road Runners either had no moulding, or a thin (1”) moulding like the lesser models. 

The emblems on the fenders and trunk lid seem to be SSP emblems. The canopy roof was a popular item on SSP’s.

Lastly, one of the pics shows the SSP only pinstripe that goes up the upper quarters and over the rear window. 

H.B. Halicki probably had access to a SSP and spiffed it up with the hood and grille to make it look a little more racy for the movie. Otherwise, a buyer might have talked a dealer into adding that hood to a SSP, but the guide books indicate that no performance hoods were available on anything expect for Road Runners and GTX’s.

It wouldn’t have made sense to add all of the lesser SSP details to a Road Runner.

8A6612AC-6229-495E-8360-5319357D1E49.jpeg

D5B63E75-086D-4077-ABB8-1BEA091D9236.jpeg

0757BB38-9417-4F9B-903D-8A9FFD1AF34B.jpeg

Edited by CapSat 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexis said:

So, will the Revell (ex-Monogram) kit build into the Halicki car?

The latest Fast and Furious kit will get you very, very close. 

The revised GTX interior is the same as a Satellite Sebring Plus. The F&F kit comes with the twin scoop hood and the Rallye wheels. I think it comes with the 4 bbl intake, so you could make that engine look like a 383 (which was the top option for the SSP in ‘71). You could carve out the GTX emblem in the grille and add a Road Runner Head shaped blob of something there, cast one from an MPC grille, or get one in resin from Greg Wann. 

If you really wanted to, you could correct the rocker mouldings to the flat SSP style- maybe just grind off the GTX mouldings and add new ones made out of flat plastic. The pinstripes and emblems would be much harder, as there is no source for these either as decals or photo etched pieces, but you almost can’t see them on film.