Model Cars Magazine Forum

UK or EU Distributor for current US Kits

With the ever rising postage costs from USA (currently ~10$ per kit, when you buy more than one), plus what her Majesty's myrmidons from the HMRC pocket on top of that, plus those contumelious £8.00 'processing fee' per parcel, it became quite expensive to shop oversees, let alone the hassle one has to go through.

I was thus trying to find distributors for the current kits in the UK or EU to see whether this would cut costs a little, but there don't seem to be any.

So here is my question for the UK and EU modellers, where do you guys and gals buy your current US kits?

Edited by Junkman

I wish I knew where you could pick up current issue kits for a reasonable price. I just keep an eye on Ebay and hope to pick up the odd one from a private seller for £10 or less. I can't believe anybody buys those I keep seeing listed for nearly £30. :blink:

It must be nearly a year since I bought any direct from the US - I bought eight at once and after shipping and import charges, they worked out about £18 each. Before I quit the hobby the first time, I was used to paying £4.99 - 5.99, so it's hard to adjust to current prices...

I had a similar conversation with a Britt a week ago, it seems all your imported parcels will go through tax and processing. Over here, there is a chance it can get caught by customs.

Over all the kits I have 'imported' (more than 100), only one box got caught. When ordering 1 or 2 kits at a time, I basically know for sure, that I don't have trouble with customs.

And I don't drive through Bünde often, but when I drive by, once or twice a year, I try to stop at them. I believe 12 or 13 euro for the latest Special Edition kits :)

I use for us shopping, modelexpress, amazon, modelroundup and towerhobbies.

I had a similar conversation with a Britt a week ago, it seems all your imported parcels will go through tax and processing.

Only the ones from USA. The ones from Hong Kong or China they don't touch.

I can explain why, but that doesn't change the fact or make the kits cheaper to obtain.

My LHS in Cork, Ireland. "Marks models" get most of the new US kits in from AMT, Revell ,etc. beats Ebay for price on most items especially with a IPMS discount. Talk to your LHS.

Also try http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/

Edited by Boreham

My LHS in Cork, Ireland. "Marks models" get most of the new US kits in from AMT, Revell ,etc. beats Ebay for price on most items especially with a IPMS discount. Talk to your LHS.

Also try http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/

No LHS here.

I used to shop at Marks Models in Dublin when I lived there. A very good store indeed and they had a mobile shop at Mondello Park.

Unfortunately shops like this don't seem to exist in England anymore. The one I knew in Liverpool is gone, and Hannants doesn't stock the current US programme.

There seems to be absolutely nothing in the Greater Manchester area and Transport Models in Preston is but a shadow of its former self.

THERE YOU GO CHRISTIAN, IF THERE IS A NEED,OPEN YOUR OWN HOBBY SHOP!

Me being the only customer of my shop wouldn't feed the family.

I attended several large toy fairs last year and in each case I was the only one selling model kits (or rather, trying to sell some) - with dismal success. At no event I managed as much as breaking even. At the one in the Trafford Centre, I sold six kits of the 108 I had with me, and that was the best one of the lot. When I list kits on Ebay, the overwhelming majority goes abroad.

I just have to accept the fact, that I'm living in a styrene diaspora. If people here are into models at all, they are into railways and diecast, and even this is tough business, since most people prefer to believe the fairy tale that there is a crisis. So they spend all their money on bloody useless shiny stuff from China with some kind of screen on it, and get plastered in a house they bought despite they can't afford it. Please, don't get me started.