Model Cars Magazine Forum

Laptop Recommendations

Which Laptop Brand would you recommend?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Laptop Brand would you recommend?

• Dell
    • HP
    • Acer
    • E-Machines
    • Mac
    • Apple
    • Other

Too many variables.

First off what are you willing to spend? Unlimited funds?

What do you want to do with it? Web browsing and basic word processing or Web development?

How mobile do you want it to be? Will it just sit on your desk or will you commute with it? Sony's are small and compact so they are good for mobility along with Panasonic's tough books for durability.

Those are the big questions that will help narrow down the search. With the way you asked the question you will get answers all across the board because most of us don't use our laptops the same way.

I hope this helps.

Can't recommend any, but the only laptop I've owned is the HP ProBook 6555b. I've had it for 14 months and it had the hard drive replaced and the battery within one year.

You can find people that own any laptop with the same complaint. The hard drive is one of the only moving part in the laptop so like with any constantly moving part there will eventually be failures. Batteries suck in almost any device you can stick one in. That's why most companies don't warranty them and if they do its minimal.

Myself I like HP, have used the HP Elitebook for work for the last 10 yrs. Actually my company replaces it every 3 yrs due to Warranty. Personally I own an HP Envy 17 and love it. It is a work horse, very heavy and that is why it is a Desktop replacement. Not something you want to stick in your backpack and carry around all day. But would much rather have my Laptop then a Desktop any day even with the cost difference. Hate being tied down, the Laptop makes it so you are mobile and can go to any room and use it when needed.

I would have to agree with the other person that posted about what are you looking for? What do you plan to do with your laptop? IE: Photoshop or extensive processing or just surfing the net? Because you don't want to go Cheap on your processor and RAM if you plan to do any Video or Photo editing! A $300 Laptop is not going to cut the mustard as they say... :D

I tried out just over a dozen different machines before I bought my Vaio (And I don't mean fiddled with them for ten minutes at the store- I borrowed machines from friends and relatives and actually USED the things, including Apples, eMachines, Sonys, Dells, etc.) and I still don't see what you are paying for with a Mac aside from a styish case and the oh-so-trendy Apple brand name.

I tried out just over a dozen different machines before I bought my Vaio (And I don't mean fiddled with them for ten minutes at the store- I borrowed machines from friends and relatives and actually USED the things, including Apples, eMachines, Sonys, Dells, etc.) and I still don't see what you are paying for with a Mac aside from a styish case and the oh-so-trendy Apple brand name.

Macs are a bit more expensive than the run-of-the-mill PC. And in the past it was true that some common software wasn't available in Mac format, but that's all changed. These days you can get Mac versions of pretty much any software that you can get for a PC. Word, Powerpoint, all the stuff that you traditionally think of as "PC" or "Microsoft" has been available in Mac versions for many years now. Macs and PCs cross-connect seamlessly these days, the divide between them is long gone.

But the cool thing is, 95% of the world is on a PC... so the bad guys don't bother to write viruses for Macs.

I've been using Mac from day one of my computer life, and I don't think I've ever had a virus on my computer.

But the cool thing is, 95% of the world is on a PC... so the bad guys don't bother to write viruses for Macs.

That's probably just as well- from what I was told (by people with much more knowledge about such things) that the Mac's standard OS is like Swiss cheese as far as security holes go, actually even worse than Windows.

Yeah, I guess.

It's all what you're used to, I suppose. I was "brought up" on a Mac, so PCs always seemed weird to me. But I have noticed that both the Mac and PC interfaces have become more and more alike lately, to the point where there's not a whole lot of difference anymore in the way they operate. I mean, the stuff "behind the curtain" may be different, but the way they operate as far as the user is concerned is more alike these days than different.

Just a word of warning about HP: They announced last summer that they're getting out of the PC business.

They fired their CEO since then, so it might change.

They have changed their mind and will keep selling PCs, afterall.

Brand is not that important with laptops, last I checked there are only 6 OEM in the world that makes them, no matter which major brand you choose they still come from the same factories. Find one that fits your needs, with the features and software you need, and a 3-year warranty. Test out the screen and keyboard for a couple minutes to see if it is comfortable to use.

I have an HP ProBook, but the only reason I bought it is because it came with Windows 7 Professional as standard. I've wanted a Fujitsu but their 13.3" models with Win 7 Pro were way out of my price range and over-spec for my needs.