Model Cars Magazine Forum

A trip to the thrift store

On Saturdays I go riding (atc's) with some friends but this saturday was diffrent. I ordered a new set of tires and had to pick them up at my mech and be home by noon to leave. My girlfriend got wind of my morning plans and invited herself along. SHT I thought to myself. I just wanted a nice drive with the dog in the back listening to some WSP and just relaxing before I put my body through hell. Not anymore.

10 minutes and just as many radio station changes Michelle says " Honey.... Can we go to the thrift store down the street form Service?........ pa pa Pleaseee?" ..... and smiled....................

.... Now at this moment we all know we're going to the thrift store, like it or not, we're going. Look it's not that I'm too good for these fine establishments it's just this one. So I'm thinking "Oh god the smell!" It's like a pile of diapers mixed with the stench of death that you smell at an old folks home. It's a choker. And on top of that it makes your eyes itch like someone threw fiberglass in them.............

.........Honey!!! .......Is that all right??...

......"Sure" I mumbled

"Great!... Thanks hon." as she said smileing

And then her focus changed back to the radio.And I wondered how safe my Subaru really is. How well is the driver protected in a crash?

It's 9am, we pull in the old gravel lot and it's packed. There's even a line at the door. She's out of the door before I put it in park. I look at my labby and tell him how lucky he is staying in the car and start towards the door. As I'm walking in an old lady thrust's a bag in my face and yells "Here's your bag" in her best PallMall voice.

"Bag for what?? I haven't bought anything." I said

"$5 bagday. Fill it up for $5." she anwsered.

"No thanks" I told her as I took my last breath of fresh air and went in.

I'm not even in a minute and I hear "Blueee" and instaintly headed to it. There she was with 3 guys moving a 1920's maple bedroom set to the loading dock. "Blue.... do you still have a trailer at Kenny's shop?"

"Yes" I grumbled

"Well go look around. I still have to pay for this." She says so perky

All that was running through my mind was I was going to be late.

"Go Look" she yells

And off I go heading toward the glassware section. Maybe I'll get lucky and drop a few things to take my mind off this. Then I see it. Hiding in a corner. The Visible Trout. I change direction and go over to see. Wow how cool I'm thinking as I pick it up. Then I notice something in the big cardboard box under it. Cars... I put the trout back,see some board games and set them on top of the trout. Then I spotted a sit-n-spin and threw it on top of the pile. Took a scan around for any looky-loo's and headed for the old bag holding the bags.

" Can I have a bag?" I ask half outta breath

" I thought you said you didn't want one?" she quipped

"Things change. So what's the deal with the bag?" I ask

"$5 bag. Fill it up for $5"

"5 bucks. what if it sticks out of the top?" I said

"Then it's $6 for YOU!" she laughs

"Can I have a bag?" I ask again

" What's the magic word?" she asks

"PLEASE"

I get the bag and sprint back to my stash. I toss the junk off and stuck the trout in the old Macy's bag and started pulling the cars out of the big box and here they are.

68 Shelby GT half done and looks to be mostly there body color included (nail polish)

67 Impalla body painted nothing else done but looks to be all there

42 Ford Woody still in plastic new

A Die-cast Ford Model A it's been chopped but nothing else and don't know yet if it's all there

A ? Lincon older build no box but all there

A box of boneyard parts including a bondo custom pontiac... misc body parts.... 6 trees with parts.....6 chrome trees with parts..... 20 or so motors and motor parts ...... 50 tires and rims most seem to be stock ...and some other things.

Now I'm a master at Tetris and slid everything in the bag with room to spare. I grabbed 2 red t-shirts for my ride later and headed to the register with my treasure. Didn't even say a word just gave the girl $5.30 and ran to the car to pack away the goodies. Michelle came out and off we went to grab the trailer,my tires/rims, back to get her bedroom find, and home to hit the trails and ride.

Well today I got to look at them..... whatcha think good deal for a fiver?

I'll be posting pics i gotta size them down

here's what got my attention... the visible trout......yep it's cool... my older brother had the visible man when i was a kid. a buddy and i thought we could make a strech armstrong by putting silly putty in it and stick it in the window. doesn't work........027.jpg