Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Die Cast Opinions

Disassemble this kit. It has lots of potential. http://maisto.wordpr...9-ford-model-a/

29ford_maisto_05.jpg?w=720

That is a model, not a kit, yet...

But since it was designed to be built on a type of assembly line and to stay together, it may prove to be more difficult to make it into a kit than it appears. At least without breaking some parts in the process.

That is a model, not a kit, yet...

But since it was designed to be built on a type of assembly line and to stay together, it may prove to be more difficult to make it into a kit than it appears. At least without breaking some parts in the process.

I got two of these as unassembled kits from Michaels last month.

And then there are the kits that Are Both Metal Bodied and Styrene parts kits combined,..

Half plastic car kit and half Die-Cast metal cars,..So, what category do they fall under I wonder for a build on here ?,...

Ian

Diecast models always have plastic parts, so all of them would fit in a diecast category....

I got two of these as unassembled kits from Michaels last month.

Oh, I thought you were showing a production built die-cast. It is still a model... either way.

I was referring to your comment about "disassembling this kit". Kits are already unassembled... and that one is clearly assembled.

BTW... if any of you guys have ever done any extensive diecast conversion work... kitbashing with styrene kits for engine or interior swaps, any body work like top chops, etc... any kind of heavy-duty diecast work (not just a wheel swap)... it would make an interesting magazine article. I think a feature on techniques for customizing or altering a diecast body would be interesting to a lot of readers.

Just something to keep in mind...

Oh, I thought you were showing a production built die-cast. It is still a model... either way.

I was referring to your comment about "disassembling this kit". Kits are already unassembled... and that one is clearly assembled.

My intentions are to just use the body and a few interior parta. As you can see the rest is rather crude (toy like).

I know no one really cares about my opinion since im not in the top 1% on the board.

So ill give my 2 cents anyway. We have a section for "model" car racing, a section for dioramas which is a "model" itself a truck section which is separated totally. and the list can go on. A diecast section would be great. As far as "under glass" I would like to see all models under the glass thats what its there for. I hardly every go to the truck part and sometimes go to the diorama section.

I know no one really cares about my opinion since im not in the top 1% on the board.

So ill give my 2 cents anyway. We have a section for "model" car racing, a section for dioramas which is a "model" itself a truck section which is separated totally. and the list can go on. A diecast section would be great. As far as "under glass" I would like to see all models under the glass thats what its there for. I hardly every go to the truck part and sometimes go to the diorama section.

Why would you think you are not in the top 1% of the board? You made a resposiable reply to a post, unlike many that choose to either hijack or make jokes and take the thread off in another direction. and let's face it, 2 cents in this economy is about all anyone gets. I think a diecast section is needed as well. Thank you for posting.

Thanks fastback340 for posting my website in your post. And for the suggestion for a diecast category. That would be great. Just for the record I am still making 1/18 resin parts, and as long as I keep getting orders for parts I'll keep making them. I just can't stock parts because of not having any income. So as long as the site can keep itself going then it'll be there. I am working on 1/24, 1/64, 1/16, 1/43, and other scales also. I don't have many parts for those yet, but there will soon be versions of all my parts starting with 1/24 scale. That would be great as HarryP stated for diecast building to be in magazines. I'd like to see them included in the model car magazines eventually. I have 4 articles of my builds in "The Diecast Magazine" where I go through the building of 4 of my builds. The latest one came out in Dec. issue #14. I introduced diecast cars to Table Top Cruisers of Central Florida when I joined. They are all plastic builders, and haven't built a diecast yet, but maybe someday. They do have a diecast category in their shows now which I hope grows. I build any brand of diecast. I do prefere the higher end ones to build just because the end result just seems better when you start with a car with better fit and updated hinges, etc. I have just as many ertls that I've built than HWY61's. Here's a couple pics of the camaro that started out as a stock 69 camaro from HWY61. This is the car in the Dec. issue. This is an example of how far you can go with a diecast car, and that they can be just as fun to build. Thanks for looking(not trying to take over this topic). I'd love to see a diecast category.

post-7032-0-25358200-1327188137_thumb.jp

post-7032-0-98221400-1327188222_thumb.jp

I personally have built in both plastic & metal. The general die-cast dilemma at times is the lack of detail and scale realism at times. Plus it's difficult to add opening panels or body cutting & modifying. But yes, there are subjects you can't get in other scales/mediums. And die-cast HAS gotten so much better over the years. You have no idea how happy I was to see a 1/18th. 1968 Barracuda 340-S get into production.... with opening panels and photo-etched scripts. Now with a set of tires & wheels, an engine swap from an AAR `Cuda with a 6bbl. small block, and I'll have a real close replica to mine.

Yeah, looks like an order is coming your way Brian.

I wish the "mints" would offer their cars as unfinished kits. Not even so much for the cost savings, more so because I feel like a vandal tearing apart one of their wonderful models.

One other thing I've noticed- there seems to be quite a bit of apathy toward snap kits, as well. Those are plastic too, right? Again, I don't see the point. Sure, the majority of them don't have an engine, but neither do a lot of the high-end Japanese curbside kits, and the diehards among us swoon over those. If you want a late '70's Coupe De Ville, a '75 Cutlass Supreme, a late '90's Dodge Ram 2500/3500, or an '88-00 C-series GM dually, a snap kit is your only choice. If you're so inclined, you can kitbash any one of these with a common full-detail kit, but a sizable number in the modeling community overlook them simply because of the skill level number printed on the box.

I've noticed this too. (sorry in advance for the non-car reference) Zvezda just came out with a very nice WW2 Soviet Yak-3 snap kit. The Yak-3 was an important fighter for the Soviets in WW2 compared by some to the Spitfire and P-51 Mustang, but it has only been done a few times in plastic. All of the available kits have accuracy issues, and most were done in the 70s when detail on 1/72 was fairly minimal.

You would think people would be thrilled to have a new kit particularly one that is supposed to be the most accurate of any done so far. Although it is a snap kit it is detailed as well or better than most modern 1/72 kits I've built, with fine panel lines, many small finely molded parts, and a full cockpit. It fits together well with little need for putty and where they compromised the kit (in my opinion) they compromised towards a better model rather than for an easier snap fit (no visible huge pegs). Built up I doubt most would ever guess it was a snap kit.

I'm building it alongside the old Heller kit (which was considered one of the better Yak-3s before this kit) and there is no detail that the new Zvezda kit does not do better except for the wing attachment which is a little unconventional (but workable).

Still there is a very vocal group dismissing this kit and shouting about how this shows Zvezda isn't a serious model company because they have sacrificed the "serious" modeling community to attract younger modelers. :rolleyes:

BTW... if any of you guys have ever done any extensive diecast conversion work... kitbashing with styrene kits for engine or interior swaps, any body work like top chops, etc... any kind of heavy-duty diecast work (not just a wheel swap)... it would make an interesting magazine article. I think a feature on techniques for customizing or altering a diecast body would be interesting to a lot of readers.

Just something to keep in mind...

You are a glutton for punishment Harry, I can already imagine the pile of hate mail you and Gregg would get if you had a major diecast feature in the magazine. Remember the hullabalu about the (very cool in my opinion) steam tractor a few years back? Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you guys some Nomex underwear. :lol:

Edited by Aaronw

You are a glutton for punishment Harry, I can already imagine the pile of hate mail you and Gregg would get if you had a major diecast feature in the magazine. Remember the hullabalu about the (very cool in my opinion) steam tractor a few years back? Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you guys some Nomex underwear. :lol:

Yeah, we got our share of "righteous indignation" for that article... :rolleyes:

but IMO (and Gregg's)... it was misplaced. We both believe (as do most of you guys, I think) that the material used does not define what is or is not a "model." To say that anything other than a styrene kit is not a model is crazy. And even though there are those people who actually think that way, their numbers are pretty small. Most of us agree that the material used is irrelevant to whether or not a model is a "real" model.

If you decide to slip in an article about diecasts into Model Cars let me know. I'd be happy to submit something for you to consider. I've got 4 articles in magazines for building diecasts already, and am putting together another one right now. I'm not sure how it would go over with the rest of the modeling community, but it would be nice to see diecast is getting more popular. In the model club I belong to I think it would be about 50/50 whether diecasts should be included in a model magazine.

If you decide to slip in an article about diecasts into Model Cars let me know. I'd be happy to submit something for you to consider. I've got 4 articles in magazines for building diecasts already, and am putting together another one right now. I'm not sure how it would go over with the rest of the modeling community, but it would be nice to see diecast is getting more popular. In the model club I belong to I think it would be about 50/50 whether diecasts should be included in a model magazine.

We run diecast features in the magazine all the time. In our opinion diecast models are absolutely a legitimate part of the model car world. We've run diecast model reviews, features on reworking and/or detailing diecasts, and Bill Coulter has a soon to become regular feature on models available in diecast form that have never been (and probably never will be) available in styrene kit form.

At MCM we believe diecasts are very much a part of the model car hobby, and we'll continue to run features about them.

I think people have a problem with them due to the fact that most come pre painted and finished...you dont see a lot of snap kits on this site. not to say there are none, just not alot. I bet if you started a post with a raw "die cast" kit that you had to take some files and drum sanders too before any paint work, you would hear some different songs from people.