Model Cars Magazine Forum

4 cylinder S 10 engine

Hi guys, I am building a replica of a S 10 that my son has. I have the 1995 kit. It is the correct year as his truck. The problem is it only comes with a 6 cylinder. I want to know if anyone makes a resin 4 cylinder engine? I looked at E-bay and found a 1983 Cavalier the motor looks similar but it's hard to tell.Thanks for your help, John

Being a '95 Dime,your son's truck doesn't have the old 2.5L "Iron Duke" with 92HP,it has the same basic 2.2L I4 (120-ish HP) as the 2nd and early 3rd gen Cavaliers had. I personally don't know of any in scale...but that old MPC\AMT 80's Cavalier you mentioned ain't even close...they had an anemic 2.0L (I have dark memories.......). Not much help,sorry :unsure:

The Revell Chevy Citation, Beretta or Pontiac Gran Prix maybe?

The Grand Prix was a 3.1 V6- no idea what the Berretta or Citation had, though I THINK the Citation has a V6 as well.

The Fiero engine would be perfect for the 2.5, but that wouldn't help you with a '95. You might be able to make the Cavalier engine work, but it wouldn't be very accurate. You'd be almost as well off just making your own four cylinder from rectangular plastic stock and some parts box pieces.

The OHV four cylinder engine from the Cavalier kit would be the place to start as the Vortec 2200 engine from the trucks is based on that engine architecture. It is a bored and stroked version that in 1995 this engine had multi-port fuel injection so you would need to modify the intake system to look more like what you have in the truck.

That's right, but then the sore spot becomes the engine itself. It is rather light on detail. It would look VERY out of place in the S-10's engine bay, especially when you have 1982-vintage tooling on an engine being used in a mid 1990's vintage model. I don't have any 1:1 external dimensions for a 2.2, but the MPC engine looks a bit on the small side to me. Nevermind the fact you'd need to track down an MPC Cavalier kit, only to grab perhaps half a dozen usable parts out of it to complete the S-10. I still think the average modeler could cobble up a more convincing 2.2 than what's included with the Cavalier kit.