Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Muscle Car Kit

what about the older MPC kits ?

if simplicity is a key factor then those are a good starting point

plus...they use steel axles which makes they so much easier to hike up the rear end, all you need to do is drill the holes in different spots :)

if you want to stick with revell though, how do you feel about the 70s chevelle 3n1 ?

it is still a very simple kit and goes together well

it has been around for ages though, so there is always a change you get one that needs some massaging

I love old and modern cars but I really have a love for 60's and 70's muscle cars, I am just affraid to do the whole bare metal foil around the window trim etc, never done it. I have purchased a sheet though. I have build models for 30 years but mainly WWII aircraft and armour, so all flat paints. Kind of worried about using gloss paints and gloss clear coats, polishing and waxing. So I was looking for a nice 60's/70's kit that would be not too overwhelming to get a car kit under my belt.

The other thing I noticed is the kit tires are not that great in the kits, I don't understand why they can't make more low profile better tires. All this aftermarket stuff you have to get and my LHS don't stock or order that stuff and all the on-line sites are in the U.S. I live in Canada and don't like ordering out of the U.S. and paying higher prices and shipping, etc.

If you just got to ask,..You just got to ask I guess,....lol..lol..

The Heater core and the Mater cylinder where just set in there to hold is all in A ONE PIECE,...That build was an UNFINISHED kit in those shots is all,..it got striated out later

before the finishing touched where added,..

Ian

OK, um thanks, I think... :blink:

from Revell, the '70 Roadrunner , '71 GTX, & '69 Camaro kits are good & don't really have too many parts, so they aren't overwhelming and they are nice models when finished. I would say the Revell '68 & '69 Chargers, but they have a lot of parts and sometimes part fitment can be a little fincky, otherwise they are a great kit (same with the Revell '69 Charger Daytona). The AMT '71 Charger R/T is also a great kit, as well as the '69 GTX, '70 Super Bee, etc.

I love old and modern cars but I really have a love for 60's and 70's muscle cars, I am just affraid to do the whole bare metal foil around the window trim etc, never done it. I have purchased a sheet though. I have build models for 30 years but mainly WWII aircraft and armour, so all flat paints. Kind of worried about using gloss paints and gloss clear coats, polishing and waxing. So I was looking for a nice 60's/70's kit that would be not too overwhelming to get a car kit under my belt.

The other thing I noticed is the kit tires are not that great in the kits, I don't understand why they can't make more low profile better tires. All this aftermarket stuff you have to get and my LHS don't stock or order that stuff and all the on-line sites are in the U.S. I live in Canada and don't like ordering out of the U.S. and paying higher prices and shipping, etc.

Just jump in and try stuff,most isn't that difficult.I live kinda near you and know the feeling about shipping charges,but what are you gonna do.I just paid 32 shipping for something that cost 35,but I "needed" them

I appreciate all the advice. Question I would really appreciate help on is how do you know what kind of tires/wheels to order for kits? I decided I am going to get the Revell 1968 Charger kit but I like to do custom tires/wheels. I have looked at Pegasus stuff on line but don't know what to order. In this months Hot Rodding magazine there is a nice metallic blue 68 charger with low profile tires and sweet rims. The tires are larger and wider in the rear.

Is there a way to figure out what tires/wheels will fit any given kit, or is it all trial and error?

I picked up a Revell 2010 Shelby GT500 and Camero SS, thought these would be good kits to start with. Only problem now is to figure out what aftermarket wheels and tires would be suitable for these kits. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.