Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilding: What's your philosophy?

I hope this thread will serve all those looking for answers and inspiration for ALL THINGS SCRATCH-BUILDING. Another useful word to keep in mind is FABRICATION! (NOTE: Please do not post extensive how-tos or step-by-step here, you can do so over in the HOW DO I and Tutorial section of the forum.) My interest if to stay in a general discussion of special challenges, joys, and other emotions you feel when you scratch build.)

Scratch-building is one of those terms you hear early when you begin to build models, which springs from a need of the builder to create something that is not available or does not exist. For me, for quite a number of years, it represented a skill set I would not have for a while either because I didn't know what I was doing (some would say I still don't know what I'm doing!) or because I didn't have the right kits and parts around, or right styrene stock, or because I didn't have the right tools, etc . . . in short, I kept myself away from the idea of scratch-building for a while until I started venturing into what I would call the REALM OF THE SAW! We all come upon that first obstacle in our building where you say: "How do I open this door? This trunk? Chop this roof?" Scratch-building begins there and moves on to where you find yourself making your own roll cages, chassis, suspensions, etc . . . the possibilities are endless. Again, having to create things from your imagination that do not come in the box with the instructions or the kit.

Harry P. says: "My definition of scratchbuilding: creating a part, or a component, that didn't exist before, using any of a number of raw materials, including (but not limited to): sheet stock (brass, aluminum, styrene, etc.), rod, tubing or channel (again, brass, aluminum, styrene, whatever), or anything else that you may find applicable and appropriate to use. Customizing, to me, means altering existing kit parts... either by cutting away, adding to, reshaping, etc... but starting with an existing part. But the lines can blur. Chopping a top, to me, is not scratchbuilding, but customizing. Opening up doors is not scratchbuilding, but customizing. But hinging the doors? Well, obviously you'll need hinges, and they would most likely be scratchbuilt. So it can get a little fuzzy sometimes where the exact dividing line between customizing and scratchbuilding lies. And just to muddy the waters more, there's kitbashing... "

That's how it began for me with a need to cut out panels, or chop a 32, and it went from there. A saw, some masking tape, calipers, dividers . . . pretty soon it felt like I was picking up tools and tips and techniques every day, not only from the forum and watching over others' shoulders, but from this magazine and many real cars mags . . . I spent those early years really paying attention to how other builders went about the art of scratch-building. Many here, myself included, are in awe of builders like John Teresi who is constantly pushing the envelope on what is possible with the art of scratch-building.

Well, you get the point. I hope those of you looking for answers or those of you (at whatever skill level) who have good tips, techniques or discussions about the tools of the trade will chime in.

Everything related to the Art of Scratch-Building is welcomed here.

Following are a few pictures of some of the things that got me on the way. And no, you are never done learning or picking up new tools to help make the job easier. Your workbench will soon get pretty crowded with stuff you need in order to scratch-build, but that's part of the fun of building models. It might be a little expensive at first, but it's a small price to pay to advance the old learning curve.

Here's what I would call the essentials kit:

IMG_2584-vi.jpg

IMG_2850-vi.jpg

IMG_2852-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Cranky
  • Like 1

The stuff above you pick slowly, and over time you get what you need, then begins the real serious addiction:

Here's one of the indispensables, one of those tools of 1001 uses and probably (other than an airbrush) the first pricey item you will have to get:

IMG_7540-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Cranky

I always remember wat "Lil John" Buttera once said about billet. "Just cut away anything that doesn't look like the final product!" He was building mirrors for his son's 69 Camaro, and they asked him HOW he designed and built them out of billet aluminum. :D;) We work in plastic, but the idea is the same. I LIKE your tools. Don't need or have use for a lathe though. Ain't got those types of ambitions! :lol::D:);)

Edited by george 53

Virgil, thats quite a vacuum forming machine! Where on earth is that from and what does it cost?? And I'm not whining, I'm a BIG fan of Dr. Cranky as I truly get inspired by your projects ... but chopping a top or opening doors is not "scratch-building." Just sayin'.

Mike, LOL, that's a machine I bought a couple of years ago (paid over 300 dollars for it) and gifted to a friend of mine after a year of non-use and he's put it to some great use.

You bring up a good point about where we all think "scratch-building" begins in our development as builders. I'm using the term very loose here to also include the stuff that is "not the norm" when we first start building models, like the cutting of panels, chopping, and building hinges, etc . . . I mentioned at the top of the post that another good word in conjunction with scratch-building is FABRICATION.

Ultimately, we know that scratch building entails making your own parts (like a racing chassis) from the raw materials, using tools like jigs and plans, etc . . .

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Thanks or posting this Virgil :) The most scratchbuilding I've done is just building a roll cage, I feel anything else is over my head for now.

Andy, plenty of builders begin there, or building their first set of hinges or spring suspensions.

A little at a time goes a long ways in terms of raising your levels of pride and accomplishment.

Dave, THOSE are essential tools, but my assumption is we all start with those two. LOL!

My intention is to help out those folks tuning in for the first time as youngsters and or folks returning to the hobby after long hiatus.

The discussion on the subject is wide open.

But your point is very well taken, and it actually made me think of yet another part which, regardless of whether you have hands and a brain, you'd be amazed how underrated it truly is.

I had a painful and difficult "problem" with that area of the body that you put down on a chair in order to sit and be comfortable, and I could not sit down for long periods of time on doctor's orders and I found it next to impossible to concentrate. I mean I could still build, but I had to do so standing up.

There are things like dexterity and the use of our eyes, for example, that we often take for granted. Hand-Eye coordination is imperative, so is vision.

I remember one day a friend came over and he saw this:

IMG_2854-vi.jpg

and he said: How many pliers do you need?

My answer was, well those are not all pliers . . . but yes, it is true, I repeat, you will have to be ready for some initial investment and also you need room in order to grow and stay organized.

It doesn't just happen over night.

I think.

Here's one very easy scratch-building project that I recommend everyone starting out try, and trust me, it will put a big, BIG smile on your face.

So I show you this, the basic components:

IMG_1922-vi.jpg

And I ask: what do you think all these small bits of cut styrene will help create:

Here comes the smile:

Step 1:

IMG_1924-vi.jpg

Step 2:

IMG_1927-vi.jpg

Step 3:

IMG_1930-vi.jpg

Step 4:

IMG_1931-vi.jpg

the point i wanted to make with the hands and brain is that too many people put an emphasis on the "tools" and forget that you are equipped already with the two most important ones for the job.

from there you can scratchbuild A LOT of things with just a sharp knife and a good set of needle files. i just gifted a set of files recently to someone just because i like the ones i have so much, i wanted to share.

Then you get people like me that seem to screw yourself up somehow :huh:

the point i wanted to make with the hands and brain is that too many people put an emphasis on the "tools" and forget that you are equipped already with the two most important ones for the job.

from there you can scratchbuild A LOT of things with just a sharp knife and a good set of needle files. i just gifted a set of files recently to someone just because i like the ones i have so much, i wanted to share.

And the point is well made, Dave, and I totally agree. Someone told me there's a cool set to be had at Harbor Freight. I have a micro set from Micro Mark, but I am looking for bigger, wider ones.

this is one real cool post Doc, please keep the info's cumming, it's so instructive and i'm sure it will help so many people to "dig into it " scratch build ,i meant :)

don't want to confuse nobody :D

Thanks, Daniel. Well, I'm hoping we can all get back to focusing on the joys and pleasures of building model cars and using, like Dave Z would put it, our hands and brains. I'm also hoping those of you who are seasoned veterans of the art of scratch-building (oh, you know who you are!) will chime in and ad to the conversation.

I'm hoping this will turn into the kind of thread that when we hear someone knew say, "Hey, I need help scratch-building . . . ?" we can guide them in the right direction.

Edited by Dr. Cranky