Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilding: What's your philosophy?

Scratchbuilding IMHO is making a part yourself that didn't exist previously, using either plastic, wood, metal or whatever...

Would using parts from a kit that won't be the same part when it's done be considered scratchbuit? I know that sounds confusing, let me give you an example from my sprint car build. The center section of the rear was made using parts from an old Gullwing Mercedes. I used part of two mufflers and two wheels to make it. The rest is Evergreen sheet, rod and tubing.

During construction,

PB090387.jpg

Finished

PC180021.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I guess my philosophy would be that any part that isn't a kit part or resin part would involve some degree of scratchbuilding. Either modifying a kit part or starting with nothing would qualify. I have to thank the builders on this forum for pushing me to try new things. I have done some modification of kit parts and made some parts of my own in the past either to replace a part that got lost or broken or to make something work the way I wanted. They were crude but functional for the most part. After seeing some of the work here, it prompted me to carry my own work further! Case in point. with the "48 jeep pick up, I found that there wasn't a transmission available to replicate what I wanted to do with the LS engine and the LS intake wasn't what I wanted. in addition, the transfer case I wanted wasn't available in kit or resin either.

So I set about making what I needed.

With the transfer case, i laminated sheet plastic for the main case and set on it with files, and knives until I got the shape right. Then broke down the other parts into basic shapes that I could cut, file and sand into the correct form. Took a couple tries while I found out what didn't work so well, but overall I am plased with the finished product.

AtlasTop.jpgAtlasBack.jpg

No photos of the transmission yet, but the main case is almost done and I have started on the tailstock housing. Here is the intake so far, I wanted a mainfold that looked like an old tri-power but with fuel injection instead.

Again it took a couple tries, but I came out with what I wanted. Now just need to make the throttle bodies, injectors and fuel rails.Jeep01-08-2012001.jpg

Thanks agian to the builders on this forum for the inspiration!!

Steve

Because I scratch build evrything, tires have been my biggest headache, especially dirt tires for my race cars. I use PVC water pipe and lay strips of styrene around it. The I cut the cross grooves with a Dremel tool but usually they get too deep. Today I tried something that I'm sure I can make look like the real thing. I laid out a pattern on cardboard strips and glued them to the pipe. Then I cut out the cross grooves with an X knife. This little test piece took only about 15 minutes to complete.I'm sure that I can now make most any pattern of dirt tires. The PVC comes in sizes that are the right size for the 1/8 scale cars I do. I know there are a bunch of ways and maybe better but I'm using this method on my Dirt Late Model and I thought I'd share.101_1815.jpg

Okay, Ken, you win the prize for a scratch-built item Doctor Cranky has never seen done before! Wow, really, wheels out of PVC pipe?

That's amazing. Do you have any of them finished that we can look at or this is your first attempt?

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Thanks; here's some I have done earlier for a midget I was building. This was using styrene strips and cutting the cross grooves with a dremel tool. I laminate styrene sheets on the sides to give it the bulge. These turned out OK but this new way will be much better. I will be building some tires using this method sometime this week.101_1401.jpg

101_1230.jpg

101_1221.jpg

101_1219.jpg

I don't agree with that definition.

A model can be built from a kit... but can include a completely scratchbuilt interior, for example. Scratchbuilding is a technique... not a term to define a model by. Of course, a model that's 100% built from raw materials is scratchbuilt... the model that is built from a kit and has a scratchbuilt interior can't be called "scratchbuilt," but it does have scratchbuilt components.

It's all a little messy.

An easy way to grasp the concept here is to think of building any structure: For example, at Purdue, where I work, construction is planned on a new Health Sciences complex along with a large parking garage. Now, the Health Sciences building is to be done in reinforced concrete, with masonry etc.--in essence, scratcbuilt from raw materials along with brick, limestone and concrete block--pretty much built from scratch on location (of course, there will be some pre-cut structural steel involved. However, the parking garage will be a gigantic "kit"--all the support columns, beams and floor panels will be pre-stressed concrete components, produced offsite, then trucked in, set up by cranes, all interlocking together (like a gigantic Walthers Model RR building if you will).

Art

I think we all have the same idea when it comes to scratch building and what ever your building sometime give you a thrill.Its always nice to build something different and make a model more interesting for yourself and others who are looking at your builds.I to thank Dr for posting this thread.I hope inspires all.

The reality of scratch-building is, that the fabrication of the part, is not the toughest step to conquer. Given the correct tools materials and dimensions I believe any of us can learn how to make the parts we need. The thing I had to learn before that could happen for me I had to learn how to design the parts I need. To know what tool will work best, what materials to use, and how to translate the original 1;1 part into a scale part that is accurate and at the same time easily made. Design is the skill you need to learn first.

What works for me is a plan.....

Here I'm laying out the chassis for a Manx drag car. This way I can work off of a blueprint on wheelbase, track, engine/transaxle placement, spring plates, axle beam, etc.... then work in the roll cage.

VW_DuneBuggy_2712003-vi.jpg

The most exotic tool I own is my Dremel. Mostly hand tools & thinking...

Oh man, great tires. Fantastic work.

I don't think that scratchbuilding needs a literal definition. There's scratch building parts or accessories and there's modification of an existing part. Heavy modification of an existing part should fit into the scratchbuilding category.

I love scratchbuilding. It's a great feeling to make something that wasn't previously available in kit or resin form that keeps you coming back for more.

I've been known to make parts for projects that I have no intention of finishing any time soon. Sometimes things will just go 'click' in my head and I'll just start working on a part and won't stop until its done. Here's two examples. I made a Morris 850 grill for a project that I really wasn't into at the time. For me it was more about learning how to approach and conquer the problem of 'How To' than it was any attempt to finish something that I had started. Once I figured out that I wasn't going to use the grill any time soon I decided to give away a couple of casts of it to another builder.

pa030275.jpg

He asked me If I was going to do some wheels too so although I had lost interest in my Morris model at the time I made those as well.

pa030274.jpg

I have always got something brewing in the back of my head just waiting for that click.

Scratchbuilding to me is sort of like those learning to draw books where things start off as circles, squares, cones etc.. I start with those shapes and add extra details from there. Once you start you won't look back.

Cheers

ShawnS

I agree with the fellas who define scratchbuilding as creating all new parts. A while ago I wanted a Big Block Chevy engine in 1/16 scale. Finding none I decided to give it a shot and see if I could make one. I photographed and measured a block a friend has and I have a stock cylinder head that I photographed and measured. The parts I made are dimensionally right on as to size. Using sheet plastic and some modeling putty that you can bake hard at 250 degrees in your oven, I made the following parts..

The block...

MVC066F-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

One cylinder head...

MVC067F-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The rear of the block with the cylinder head on it...

MVC068F-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The oil pan with bolts cut from hex rod...

oilpanw_bolts2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And a valve cover...

panandcover3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

So far this is as far as I got. My intent was to cast them but I didn't have the knowledge or the materials back then to cast them so I gave the parts to a friend for that, but it didn't get done. I want to get them back from him so I can try my hand at resin casting now. Although I heard recently that there is now a 1/16 scale BBC engine available so it may not be worth it to continue...