Model Cars Magazine Forum

CAT 3406E Engine 99% completed (Photo's posted)

Guys,

After numerous hours/days searching the web...I need a little help to acquire a few pictures of the top of either a CAT 3406E and or an older C-15 diesel engine. (Top of the valve covers). I am in the middle of decal making...I have several options..but the more I can be accurate the better...Thanks Kurt

Kurt McLucas

kgmclucas@comcast.net

6-9-07

Guy's....

Just completed the CAT engine that will go into the Peterbilt 357 Triaxle Dump Truck. Just a few odds/ends to complete prior to chassis install.

As most of you know, my strong point is fabrication..this is where I have most of my fun..painting is not my cup of "tea"..BUT, I do have to admit..this engine did turn out A-OK. Orginally I was going to use the stock DD series 60 engine...A few notes:

Clint Freeman 3406E from Ebay, New color original CAT yellow paint. Alclad chrome paint (fan blades) and decal paper from Bare Metal foil, odds/ends from the parts box.

Feedback is always welcomed. Thank you for looking.

Kurt McLucas

DSCN4793a.jpg

DSCN4791a.jpg

My favorite part of truck models(although not the easiest) would be the engine details, and you definately outdid yourself with this one. How different from the 3406E is the C15? Or is the C15 just a 3406E with a different part or 2? I don't know much about CATs except that they're yellow and expensive. Anyway, great job.

Thanks , Jerry, Ray and Tim for the comments....

Tim, could probably correct me...the 3406E and an earlier C-15 would be very similar...Being that this engine was from resin, brought challenges in its self. Actually the decals were the most difficult...Having several truck dealerships in the area, plus my cousins fleet of triaxles, getting good shots of the engine was difficult, especially from the top view..the internet helped out some...

Great day outside to get some more painting done. I'll keep everyone posted,,Happy modeling as always...Kurt

Kurt McLucas

Nice build. I hate to rain on your parade but, the difficulty will arise when you install the engine in a truck. I found that out when I built the Clint Freeman Detroit Diesel Series 60 and put it in to a Italeri FLD 120. The turbo may have to be moved, air to air connections are fiddly and the oil pan may have to be turned around and the engine mounts are tricky. Just some advice.

Doug G,

Thank you for the great comment/feedback...

chuckyr....This build has been in progress since January of this year..I am aware of the size/fit of Clint's engine..THUS, all the dry fitting and placement of the hoses/turbo etc has been test fitted to the chassis and radiator prior to painting..alot of work has gone into it..I re-did the motor mounts/fan placement etc...she will drop in pretty smoothly...oil pan is correctly fitted...

Thank you for looking out.....Kurt McLucas