Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best AMT Muscle Car Kits released in the last 10 years

Okay, felt bad I left out AMT kits from my original Revell post. So, here we go, list your opinions on AMT muscle car kits. I have never seen or owned a AMT kit, so this will be very interesting list for me.

The only thing I have ever heard about AMT kits is they have better tires in their kits but I don't know if that is true or not.

Some amt kits are just as good or if not better than revell. but for the most part there all good, just the builder. you get the occasional thats complete garbage like the amt 69 charger. My favorite amt muscle car is probabley the 1969 Plymouth GTX and 68 roadrunner. The '70 superbee is also basically the same standards. from what i hear the new '70 Camaro Z/28 is up there in quality as well!!

62 Catalina. Boy, I am seeing a little bias in my answers.

Most of the kits AMT did through the 90s were pretty nice - some were quite awesome. The 66 Fairlanes mentioned above, the 58 Edsel and 57 Chrysler (muscle cars?).

The one game changer (similar to Revell's T-bolt kits) was the 66 Chevy Nova. Still a great kit today.

But I am still sticking with the Catalina.

Oh wait, last ten years? Well, I get the rerelease version, which included stock and custom parts!

Edited by Erik Smith

The'57 Chrysler, '62 Catalina, '62 Impala, '66 & '69 Olds 442, '68 & '69 Mopar, '70 Monte Carlo,'71 Duster are all goods kits. However,I really like the AMT kits of the '60's and '70's, they was not as detailed, but you were guaranteed a decent model, with whatever kit that was chosen.

what drops the '66 Fairlane and Cyclone kits from "best" kit status for me is the lack of shock tower top mounts, too wide front track and the too high front stance. i know the shock tower thing seems trivial but it's not when it's something that is a very predominate feature when you open the hoods of the 1:1 cars.

Back in November, sal and JTracing were both building the Fairlane. They showed that, with some work, this can be a very good kit, but IIRC, JTracing tried to make his engine bay more authentic by taking the shock mounts off of a stock car and making them slightly shorter so the hood would sit level. Glaring oversight on AMT's part. Dave, would you agree that, among the major model companies, AMT seems to have the biggest issue with creating models whose front track is too wide?

oh, and not to start a "war" but the musclecar era began in '64

I've always loved the Chrysler 300 Letter Series cars. Nothing could really touch them in their day. I really like the '57 300C kit, but I'm really interested to see Mobius' '55 C300. And I do look at these as the first muscle cars.

It seems like part of the "what constitutes a muscle car" equation is the power-to-weight ratio, which eliminates most if not all of the bigger cars of the 50's and 60's that had higher performance engines. The '64 GTO usually sets the standard for the beginning of the muscle car era by virtue of having an engine previously reserved for bigger cars installed in a midsized car.

That said, I've never understood how some cars "can't" be muscle cars just because someone arbitrarily labeled them "pony cars". The Mustangs from '67-71 were available with the same type of equipment found on a GTO, and yet...

found that the 71 charger was ,very cool, and the 66 olds 442, and Eshaver, thank's to you ,i've put the 70 camaro on my purchase list....,but it must be the baldwin motion one or the other no-baldwin, or there basicly the same without the options???

Edited by car-man666

just being honest and calling it like i see it. the TS asked for the "best" kits ever from AMT or Revell and for a kit to truly be just that i think it has to stand out and have the least amount of flaws. in my opinion the '70 Camaro, more specifically the Z/28 kit pretty much nails the 1:1 subject OOB. the Motion version has a few build issues but it's right there behind the Z/28. had AMT used the old MPC Goodyear custom wide tread tires thier musclecar kits i think it would have been a much better move than those horrible overinflated inner tube looking Wide Ovals.

I gotta agree Dave, it is one of the best, and I as well never cared alot for the Oval tires. I do like Revell's Goodyear redlines alot.