Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Cutlass Convertible (Day 2 car)

The70judgeman

This a contest car from last year. It represents a used car with some upgrades for performance. There is plenty of extra detailing under the hood...wiring, plumbing, battery cables, and weathering. I also reworked the exhaust for the "Cherry Bombs" and also added tips. There is also a little bare metal foil, photo etched parts, and seat belts, tires, and rims.IMG_2889_1.jpg

Andy, I love what you've done with this! The paint (Flame Red?) is a great choice for this car, your seatbelts complement an already nicely detailed interior and the engine bay is accurately done as well. It looks like you're using the MRC wheel/tire set, which, IMHO, offers the best Keystone Klassic wheels ever made in styrene. One suggestion, if you don't mind - paint the recessed areas of the wheel like this:

http://t2.gstatic.co...T6DqzKIWGtSeYKD

This can be easily done with a 10/0 detail brush and some slightly reduced semi-gloss black enamel.

(Humbrol #85 is about perfect)

What all did you use to achieve that patina on the chassis? That's one area where I'd really like to improve my abilities.

Andy, I love what you've done with this! The paint (Flame Red?) is a great choice for this car, your seatbelts complement an already nicely detailed interior and the engine bay is accurately done as well. It looks like you're using the MRC wheel/tire set, which, IMHO, offers the best Keystone Klassic wheels ever made in styrene. One suggestion, if you don't mind - paint the recessed areas of the wheel like this:

http://t2.gstatic.co...T6DqzKIWGtSeYKD

This can be easily done with a 10/0 detail brush and some slightly reduced semi-gloss black enamel.

(Humbrol #85 is about perfect)

What all did you use to achieve that patina on the chassis? That's one area where I'd really like to improve my abilities.

Thanks Monty. Yup...you're right, those are MRC wheel/tire sets. I have a few more sets of the Keystone's, but it was the tires that I was always after. They're some of, if not the best "muscle car" tires sold separately from kits. And now nearly impossible to find. I have one set of tires left. As for the detail painting in the rims...yeah, I forgot to do that. I realized it after I saw some on an actual car. But anyway...the weathering on the bottom of the car is just "dry brushing" Testor's magnesium and AK Interactive rust, grime, and dirt. Same in the engine bay, but with a little AK Interactive oil (by the oil filter) and fuel stain (around the carb on the manifold). Oh yeah...the paint is Dupli-color GM Bright Red from the auto parts store.

This kit looks great in all the versions iv seen it in and this is no exception

excellent build love the daily driver look :D:)

After I bought that kit and got home, I realized it was a Cutlass Supreme and not a 442 which was what I was originally going for. But I kept it anyway for the contest. The "daily driver" is what I was going for with the finish. Thanks for noticing that. Edited by The70judgeman

Nice job, Andy.

It'll look even better after you detail the wheels and put some black in the exhaust tips (sorely needed).

B)

Thanks...yeah, I missed some details in a rush to finish this one up. But nothing that really can't be added now. Just got tired of this build after a while when a few things went wrong and wanted it done.