Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene Sizes and Types

With my 32' Ford project I will be doing next, after my Ferarri California, I will be doing a lot of customizing and will be using a bit of styrene. Im just curious to know what are some of the more popular/used sizes of strene sheets, rods, tubes, etc. for 1/24 scale?

Thanks

Oh wow. thats awesome. Thanks for pinting that out and for that price you cant go wrong. I suppose with the peices in one hand and my caliper in the other hand along with usage, ill learn what seems to get used more. At least what I use more of...lol Thanks again for showing me that. Thats really an awsome little bag of goodies there. Cant wait to start my additciton and what better way to do it than have a nice big bag full of misc. styrene peices.....Mmmmmmmmm

If you do a lot of scratch building as I do, You will find yourself buying all different sizes. An assortment pack just might be the right thing to start out with. I should buy stock in Plastruct, Evergreen and K&S. One thing I can tell you for sure, is that if you're going to buy sheet plastic, and you think you'll be using more in the future, buy it on line. I buy from an ebay seller. Get 20 times the product you would get from a Plastruct/Evergreen package. I mean 15 6"X12" sheets of excellent quality in various thickness for $10-15 (add $5 shipping). I think you would get 2-3 5"X7" sheets from plastruct for about $8 depending on thickness. Just my 2 cents. Ken

Decide what types of parts you want to build (suspension members, exhaust pipes, crossmembers, whatever), get accurate measurements of the 1:1 pieces, then convert the measurements to the scale you are going to work in. If the dimensions of the 1:1 item scaled down should fall between two available material sizes, take the smaller of the two (to allow for paint thickness). If you are making tubular/round cross-section parts that are straight, use plastic tubing with wire inside as opposed to plastic rod when feasible. If you are scratching a rectangular tube frame rail with a kick-up, or a crossmember with a drop center, you might want to cut it from a sheet as opposed to building it up from multiple pieces. After a couple of instances where you build something with one method and then decide another way is better, you will quickly figure out the best method the first time.

Johnathan, the ebay seller I used was estreetplastics. I just looked to see his prices and it apears that his store is inactive. I haven't bought from him recently, because the last time I bought a load. I guess I'll have to look for other sellers. There are a few who sell plastic in bulk. Ken

wayne,if you go to the hobby store and check out the rods and tubes and find the size you think looks right get a size smaller and a size larger and between the 3 sizes you will have the correct size.The odd and ends is a good starting point but they are not all the same so look at the package to see whats in there. frankly you are going to want as many different sizes as you can get along with different shapes and don't undervalue sheet styrene several sizes are helpfu therel as well .