Model Cars Magazine Forum

One for us oldies .... or

Well I was born in '61 and I do remember seeing a lot of those cars on the streets as a kid. I'm not so sure that I'd want one as a daily driver today though. Nostalgia is nice, but there's something to be said for competent brakes, safety, handling, etc.......... ;)

i don't know what is worse; manual drum brakes, bias ply tires, points ignition, lap and shoulder belts with no air bags, saginaw style steering boxes, or distracted drivers talking on cell phones, texting, eating behind the wheel, putting on makeup or shaving or actually DRESSING while driving, DVD players in the front seat area.... in cars that virtually guarantee that regardless of the stupidity of the driver, he or she will no doubt survive the crash they cause.

soon, man will only have one developed limb... the one that holds the remote control. and his brain will have diminished to the size, usefullness, and value of a spoiled tangerine.

i don't know what is worse; manual drum brakes, bias ply tires, points ignition, lap and shoulder belts with no air bags, saginaw style steering boxes, or distracted drivers talking on cell phones, texting, eating behind the wheel, putting on makeup or shaving or actually DRESSING while driving, DVD players in the front seat area.... in cars that virtually guarantee that regardless of the stupidity of the driver, he or she will no doubt survive the crash they cause.

soon, man will only have one developed limb... the one that holds the remote control. and his brain will have diminished to the size, usefullness, and value of a spoiled tangerine.

It's not the car's age...big or small....it's the driver..has i say...there is 5000 bolts that hold a car together....but only takes one Nut to make it come apart.... ^_^

Great ! Brought back a lot of memories . BTW , my daily driver until a couple of years ago was a '60 El Camino . Small block , Holley 4-bbl , headers , 4-speed , and Cragars . It was finished in 3 different colors of primer and a rusted out floor . On my way home after work one day , a guy coming the other way turned left like I wasn't there ! I drove that El Camino for almost 20 years and sure do miss it .

one thing i don't see happening? any sort of nostalgia for the current crop of cookie cutter cars.....

i could be proved wrong, though.... somebody, fifty years from now, will no doubt be putting another coat of wax on his Geo Metro.

hopefully the nursing home staff will get him sedated and back to the ward.

one thing i don't see happening? any sort of nostalgia for the current crop of cookie cutter cars.....

i could be proved wrong, though.... somebody, fifty years from now, will no doubt be putting another coat of wax on his Geo Metro.

The Metro has been out of production for over a decade, haven't seen one in ages...somewhere someone probably has one stashed away w/ 10 miles on it...

I was thinking about this a awhile back, so I think when my current car stops working, or when I get another car, I am going to keep it so in 30 or so years, I can restore it :lol: .

My goal is to keep my Mustang as original as possible so I won't need to restore it...had it almost 25 years...

I have thought of doing a bit of restoration on my Jeep eventually if I keep it...could use a paint job, some dents removed, new rear bumper cover...though I may eventually trade up to a new GC when I move to a place w/ more severe winters...

Edited by Rob Hall

when modern cars become too difficult/expensive to keep running due to obsolete/unavailable electronics, they are simply useless piles of junk. ECM's, ABS units, TCM's, all are designed for a narrow and specific band of vehicles and often cannot be reused from salvage yards without recoding... and are still aging, used parts at that. i know for a fact that VW New Beetle instrument clusters are nearly impossible to obtain for the '99-'03 range... and the cluster is more of a control unit and gateway than most car's ECM's. there are no work-arounds, no duct tape and baling wire repairs for these new cars. when there are no critical parts available, they're junk.

so, fifty years from now, some guy will be lovingly polishing his inoperable 2012 Dodge Charger due to obsolete ECM's.