Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Art Model Car--Have You Ever Built One?

Over the weekend I had lunch with Pat Covert and he reminded me of something that gave me the idea for this thread, and that is the use of different (really different techniques) builders have employed to create some highly original model cars that would be considered more art or craft than the standard plastic model.

In the early 90s, Mr. Covert utilized a technique where you hold a car body under water, you then spray or drizzle different enamel paints on the surface and when you bring up the model body the paint sticks to it. You can never achieve the same "swirl" effect twice, but the results are very interesting.

Also, I have seen model cars adorned with beads, etc . . . I would love to see examples of models done using different art techniques and products, and I hope that if you have them you will share them here.

It's called the Swirldellic paint job. First done be Hank Borger back inn the late 60's early 70's. Car Model mag had a how to back then on how he did it. The subject was a Mustang called the Moonwind. I used it on this one for a gift for my wife. When we got married I sold my car, and she had a Maverick.

P1010065.jpg

It's really quite simple. Use one of the colors as a base coat, for example I did one using silver and green, the silver was my base coat. This keeps you from having bare spots showing through. Next get a container, I used a 5 gallon bucket, plenty big enough to ompletely submerge your model you are building. ( just the body, not the whole model) Fill with warm water, this is important, it will help keep the paint from setting up too quickly. Then spray the two colors you are using on top of the water, gently stir, not too much so that the colors mix togeather and form one butt-ugly color you don't want then insert your model. Sorry I don't have pictures of the one I did, They are all in storage and I have no clue which box it may be in. These things happen when grown kids move back home.

A few years ago I was servicing a copier at a firm near New Palestine, IN. that used a process like this to make wood grain covering for plastic parts they made for auto manufacturers. It intrigued me as this does. Will being 60's psycodeklc painting I guess. Thanks for the article .