Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/20 Scale Tyrrell p34

Eric C

Here's abother one I just finished up a week ago. It's Tamiya's 1/20th scale Tyrrell P34. Enjoyable kit to build although as an older kit it had it's challenges. Painted with Tamiya TS-15 Blue and TS-26 Pure White and cleared with TS-13 then polished with various grades of Tamiya polish. I added a few extra lines to the engine (fuel lines and coil wire) and also added a few PE fasteners and front splitter support. One of the biggest challenges was hand painting the tire lettering on those small front wheels.

Thanks for looking....

e100_3012.jpg

e100_3015.jpg

e100_3019.jpg

e100_3022.jpg

e100_3024.jpg

First rate replica. Put it in the right backround and it would look real! I always wondered about this car, the 4 front wheel idea must not have been an advantage, or did they rule it out of the book like the turbines at Indy?

What ended up happening was that the 4 smaller front tires made for a higher top speed due to a reduced frontal area.The cornering speed wasn't increased much(if at all).Jody Scheckter wasn't keen on the concept but Patrick Depallier was gung-ho for it.Then Goodyear stopped development of the special sized small tires so the brave experiment went to history's scrap heap.

Very nice build of a classic F1. The smaller front wheels increased the downforce and improved the braking (4 smaller disc has larger swept area than 2 larger discs).

The two larger front wheels cause a certain amount of lift and replacing these with four smaller wheels reduced the lift = increased downforce. Also, the contact area of four smaller wheels is larger compared to two larger wheels.

So I´m told...

I´m not sure but I recall reading somewhere that other teams (Williams and Ferrari ?) also designed 6-wheelers for testing.