Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Lincoln Futura

Chuck Most

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

Yeah... as you can see, the kit is pretty simple- just over three dozen parts in total, but keep in mind this kit is as old as the Futura concept itself.

As many know, this was the car that later became the original 1966 Batmobile, and before the arrival of Polar Lights' trio of '66 kits, you either had to build your '66 from this kit, or work from a resin kit based on this golden oldie.

The 1:1 concept was built in 1955, in 1956 'Lincoln' scripts were added to the front fenders. This kit lacks those scripts, but all the others present on the original car are present and accounted for.\

All chrome is separate- about the only foil trim you'll need to worry about are the scripts, the framework for the bubble canopies, and some of the interior trim. Parts fit seems pretty good from what I've dry-fit so far, and there isn't much flash for a kit of this vintage.

The car was originally painted a very pale pearlescent blue (often referred to as 'Pearlescent Frost Blue-White'), but before the car found superstardom as the TV Batmobile, it was repainted red for its first film role and used in the 1959 film 'It Started With a Kiss'. The interior was also redone in red to match. This is the version I'm thinking of building, though it would not be a totallly accurate replica of the car as it appeared in 1959, lacking the 'Lincoln' front fender scripts.

Right out of the box, there are at least two variants of the Futura you can build, and of course, you can go crazy with a fantasy build. Years ago Bob Downie built one as a Ranchero. I'm even toying with the idea of using some of the stock concept parts off the kit on the Polar Lights Batmobile to convert that kit back to a Futura, so I can have a full-detail Futura to park next to my still-not-completed '66 Bat Car.

The kit was reissued not too long ago in a standard-size Revell box (around 2006 or so if I recall), and even earlier versions are available for very reasonable prices. If you are into full detail or newer tooling, just walk away, but if you have a thing for old concept cars, Lincolns in general, want something to display as a 'bookend' with your PL Batmobile, or just want to experience a model that dates practically from the dawn of the hobby, this one's well worth a lookie-loo.

I always thought this was one of the better bubbletop concept cars to come out, and this one certainly has that "Jet Age" feel and look to it. A few years ago I would've scoffed at the styrene tires, low parts count, and metal axles, but the simplicity and crisp look of kits like these is suddenly appealing. I really like the mint green color, too.

Edited by Casey

Am I the only one who wonders what this would look like with the '58 T-Bird roof on it? :huh:

Nope! Well... sort of... I've mocked up a windshield and roof from an AMT '56 T-Bird on this kit's body before. Dare I say it didn't look too bad!

Forgot one thing- there is all sorts of useful info and links on the 1:1 here- http://www.1966batmobile.com/background.htm

I've got the Monogram reissue, which is molded in white. Nicely done kit; I think one of the challenges is to figure out how to very carefully take the single-piece canopy and cut it so it opens (would the Batmobile canopy work as a substitute?). And I do agree that the red movie version would be the way I'd build it. I've got a copy of the movie, "It Started With a Kiss," which is very hard to find and is available only on VHS tape.

[EDIT: I see that they came out with a remastered DVD version last Fall. Pleasant, lightweight comedy, but nothing special. Good exterior and interior paint reference]

Here's a pretty good background article on the car, with several pictures...

http://theinvisiblea...ncept-car-1955/

Edited by sjordan

I've got the Monogram reissue, which is molded in white. Nicely done kit; I think one of the challenges is to figure out how to very carefully take the single-piece canopy and cut it so it opens (would the Batmobile canopy work as a substitute

I was wondering the same thing,but the PL Batmobile kit's canopies are quite a bit larger than the Revell Futuras. I'm toying with making a buck and vacuum forming some new open canopies, as I plan to convert a PL Batmobile into a full-detail Futura... one of these days.

I understand that both bubbles on the center part of the canopy should have hinges at the top rear, attached to the tops of the rear glass, so it pivots up from the front.

Here's a detailed build journal on this kit. Seems to cover everything you'd need to know about it. I'd save this if you're serious about building the kit. Or make a copy of it to keep with the kit.

http://www.modelcars...ck_futura_1.htm

Edited by sjordan

I understand that both bubbles on the center part of the canopy should have hinges at the top rear, attached to the tops of the rear glass, so it pivots up from the front.

It's actually hinged at the bottom rear, in the corners, as you can see in this photo.

1956_Lincoln_Futura.jpg

It's not too hard to separate the pieces and make the top removeable (I did it when I built this), but making it functional would probably require new canopies, as the thickness of the parts in scale prevents it from working prototypically.

FUTURALF-vi.jpg

I just did a Google image search for "Lincoln Futura" and found it. BTW, one of the best reference article I've seen on the Futura is in the December 1996 issue of Collectible Automobile. Twelve pages, with lots of photos and great historical info.

Yes, that's my build - thanks.

it's really one of the best looking concept cars ever made, IMHO... the fact that Ford built it on a driveable chassis instead of it being a "pushmobile" like many concept cars showed a remarkable amount of faith and foresight!

too bad they didn't have Rain-X in the fifties..... so many bubble cars, so few windshield wipers!

btw; it's not as big in real life as it LOOKS in scale.... trick of perception!

I have one, I was doing it as the Batmobile, so I had a fair amount of body work into it already when the PL Batmobile came out. If anyone has a spare they want to trade, please pm me, I'd really like to do one to have next to my Batmobile.

Good luck on this build Chuck. I just finished building it as the movie car in January and while it turned out okay it certainly made me appreciate what comes out of todays model box. Expect a lot of filling, sanding and dry fitting. I also ended up Alclading the side trim and bumpers because of poor chrome and poor fit. The interior btw, is black and red. For reference I did find some colour photos from the movie on line and the movie came out on dvd last year so if you can find it there will be lots of reference shots in it.

I don't have a photo hosting site so can't post pics of the finished build but if you take your time I think you'll be satisfied with your final result. It's actually a fairly accurate kit despite it's age.

rob