Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay.... Every update you keep out doing yourself. I sure know the feeling of adding tabs to the build. I was there with my funny car. I am super impressed with your work and I just love your craftmanship. Keep up the killer work and glad to see you back on this.

stopping at every step to snap some pics, loading them into your computer, sorting through them all to find some decent ones, clean up in the photo editor and you're still not done.Then you have to upload them to the web, write up a post, and paste in the pics. All that added on top of a highly detailed build. It's a lot of work just to share.

Add me to the list that appreciate the opportunity to see what you do and how you do it.

Phenomenal work as usual Clay, always a pleasure to watch and learn from. I do have a question though. What glue are you using to attach the brass tabs to the plastic? I havent had much luck using regular super glue for similar purposes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I finished off the final bits of the chassis last night and got it in primer. I'm ready to paint and clear it now finally.

To answer your questions about glue, I use green bottle zap-a-gap for almost everything. On this chassis I used Plastruct glue for all of the plastic to plastic joints. But for the brass I used green zap. Sometimes with some kicker to make sure it held quick, and strong. For some reason, the DirtModeler brass PE really held strong to the styrene with the zap. I don't think I've broken off a single piece of brass etch since I've been working on this.

Should have some more progress soon!

Clay

Thank you very much guys! Finally got a little time this week to get the chassis painted and cleared.

I mixed a bunch of different dark gray metallics, and silvers together to make sure I had enough to cover the whole chassis. I went for a color a little lighter than I would normally use to try and get close to the color R2B2 powder coats their chassis with. Once the paint was dry, I gave it a good even coat of PPG 2 part clear. I need to go back and touch up the left door pad, then I can get to assembling some stuff on it.

P8032111z-vi.jpg

P8032112z-vi.jpg

P8032113z-vi.jpg

You can see the 3D decals still showed up under the paint and clear. I think they worked pretty good!

P8032110z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

CK

The frame looks fantastic, Clay! Looks like everything is on their place, and very well finished. I can't see that some tubing wouldn't fit nicely to other tubing, which is the problem in my Tube frames, and now when painted the frame looks even better than it did in plastic. B)

• 4 months later...