Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Thanks Chris......the floor pan is all sheet metal steel on the real car held in with a bunch of spot welds. It gets painted with the chassis. Same with the firewall and so on. Any panel that isn't steel and part of the chassis will more than likely be carbon fiber after the chassis is painted.

I'm working on a few methods to simulate all the spot welds, I should have something figured out soon.

Clay...Thank you for answering my question. I didn't realize some teams had welded in one side of the floor. Then I realized that I over looked the Dzus fastener tabs on the passenger side of the car and on the driver side there were none. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the spot welds and how you do it. That is going to look sweet as well as when you get the chassis painted and how the rest of the panels will be carbon fiber.

love the updated pics. You are making great progress and it is looking great. That steering column is just killer. Keep up the great work you are doing. Thanks again for sharing.

The floor boards look great Clay, as does the steering column, one thing to correct (for anybody building a realistic P/M), the drivers side floorboard has to be steel which is correct, but the rules for both the NHRA & the ADRL state that carbon fiber can only be used on anything BEHIND the driver (tubs,suspension covers etc), the passenger side can be aluminun or steel but not carbon fiber.

Clay this is just amazing!

I have been following your stuff for quite some time, before the "Blackbeard Camaro" my all time favorite was your Richie Stevens Jr's NHRA Mopar Pro Stock Dodge Stratus in the October 2009 edition of SA. That car had some amazing details in the multi disc clutch and the pigment to simulate Clutch dust... that was just crazy! With this being 1/16th, I am looking forward to see what you post every time. :)

You are just knocking this one out of the Ball Park with a Home Run on every update.

The floor boards look great Clay, as does the steering column, one thing to correct (for anybody building a realistic P/M), the drivers side floorboard has to be steel which is correct, but the rules for both the NHRA & the ADRL state that carbon fiber can only be used on anything BEHIND the driver (tubs,suspension covers etc), the passenger side can be aluminun or steel but not carbon fiber.

You are sort of correct, it does state the above but it doesn't specifically state the material on the passengers side, it says "Drivers Compartment", meaning the drivers side of the car. I know the rules change, so not sure how the 2012 is interpreted compared to 2009 but I have a picture of Jason Skruggs 67/68 Camaro he ran in the ADRL and he has Carbon Fiber on the passengers side floor.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

:o :blink: I .....want........that steering column........ :wub:

Clay, it's near on impossible to improve on perfect, but you have the knack of doing that with each new post........... B)

I've never had the opportunity to follow a build of yours live (as they say), but man, I gotta say....this is so much fun, and a whole re-learning experience. :)

Thanks for sharing mate.

Oh man!!! First off, I say everyone here is an outstanding builder,but to me, 2 guys are absolute ARTISTS. You guys know who they are...Clay Kemp and John Teresi. The two of them continue to just amaze me with their AWESOME builds, thank you for sharing your ART with us.

here are the rules for the flooring. i hope this clears it it up.

NHRA / PRO MOD

FLOOR

Driver’s-side floor pan must be steel and must be welded in place.

Remainder of stock floors may be replaced with .024-inch steel,

.032-inch aluminum, or NHRA-accepted carbon fiber. Magnesium

interior panels prohibited. See General Regulations 7:5.

ADRL / PX

FLOORS: Replacing stock floors with .024" steel or .032" aluminum allowed (.032 on any vehicle using any percentage of nitromethane for fuel). Driver's side floor pan must be .024" steel (.032 on any vehicle using any percentage of nitromethane for fuel) and must be welded in place extending from firewall to back of driver's seat. Carbon fiber or composite materials may not be utilized in any portion of the flooring in the driver's compartment except for any panel located behind the driver including suspension covers and wheel tubs.

clay, ahhhhhh, never mind! LOL!

I've had to set this one aside for a while so I could get to some other projects that needed to be done in a hurry. But I should have an update soon. Been working on the floor panels some more. I think I've got something that will catch your interest when I get it posted. ;)

CK

:( Now c'mon Clay......you gotta know, when you're working on an awesome project like this, there are NO other projects !......................... ;)

All in good time mate, we'll be here waiting. :)

More updates please ! This thing is crazy and if I ever wanted to go to 1/16 I would defenetly use this tread as a guideline . Clay do you find it easyier to work in 1/16 or 1/24th? Just wandering because I'm getting old and the hands aren't what they used to be .