Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

That looks really good Clay I like to ask you how do you do the brake lines,what did you use for the lines and also what did you use to tie it to the chassic? Keep up the great work check out your photo site also realy neat stuff

Hey Clay, you started building this one B4 I found out about this site, so nice to see your work!!!!!!!!! it truly is inspiring and makes me want to build better cleaner models , because you show that at even an very high level awesome modelbuilding is possible!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing your Brilliance!!!!!!! Shaun.S

Hi,

The level of this build,is almost beyond what you can imagine and think of as a modelbuilder.

The precision in every detail and also the knowledge of reference to assembly the chassie.

To what it is. In my eyes: this is art.

Thank you so much for the inspiration this is for me.

Thank you very much guys!

John, the brake lines are from Detail Master fitting line. And I usually use black thread to tie off the lines and hold them to the chassis. Pull it tight, a small dot of super glue, and trim the excess thread. Works great.

Got some work done over the weekend. I need to make more progress on the engine, so I went out and machined a new oil pan. I made it a bit too deep, but it should work. Once it was glued on I added some .040 Pro Tech nuts to hold it down.

P7153486z-vi.jpg

P7153489z-vi.jpg

I also machined a smaller piece to simulate the "boss" where the oil line will go.

P7153488z-vi.jpg

The distributor is from Micro Nitro and is installed and ready for plug wires. I used Slixx 1/16 MSD decals on it. I also started figuring out the idler pulley bracket.

P7153490z-vi.jpg

Front brakes are finally installed and ready for brake lines.

P7153495z-vi.jpg

P7153483z-vi.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

Clay

Clay.... i am in amazement at this build. Every update gets better and better. Your work is impressive and you are always seting that bar for us. Love toir attention to detail and how clean yoir work is. Keep up the awesome job and can't wait until your next day

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much fellas. I appreciate the comments!

I've finally got the rear slicks close to being done. I drew and printed the Good Year logos on the Alps, and applied two layers to each side. Once dry I dull coated the entire tire and hand painted the white markings with lacquer, then dirtied them up slightly with the Tamiya weathering sponge. the bar code decal came from a Powerslide goody sheet. wheels and bead locks are from Micro Nitro obviously!

The front tires are semi hard black resin rubber. No matter how much I sanded them or cleaned them up, they just didn't look right. So finally I painted them completely with some AK black acrylic paint to get a nice uniform shade of black. it felt good to get all of these more/less done and get the thing mocked up.

P7313501z-vi.jpg

P7313502z-vi.jpg

And mocked up. Starting to look like something finally.

P7313498z-vi.jpg

P7313499z-vi.jpg

P7313497z-vi.jpg

I started out getting back to machining some parts for the engine. I machined a new blower pulley and spacer for the front of the PSI blower. There is also a brass rod running through all of it into the resin blower to keep it all straight, and not pulled down once the belt goes on.

P8173526z-vi.jpg

P8173525z-vi.jpg

With my confidence up, I started in on some parts. New lower pulley, idler pulley and pin, as well as the brace that goes from the idler across to the stand off. Everything lines up pretty well. I also machined the fuel pump extended mount.

P8173527z-vi.jpg

P8173528x-vi.jpg

I always gotta get a few "mock ups" in as well. This thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger!

P8173523z-vi.jpg

P8173522z-vi.jpg

P8173524z-vi.jpg

P8173521z-vi.jpg

Moving to the rear of the car, I cleared a few more hurdles.

The rear tubs, filler pieces were all painted black, and decaled with Scale Motorsport 1/12 CF film. Big thanks to DT for hooking me up. I needed a lot of it!! These pieces are all covered, just waiting for 2 part clear.

P8173536z-vi.jpg

P8173539z-vi.jpg

One of the last hang ups was the rear sway bar. I machined the arms from brass. Then slit the ends to hold the DM rod ends. I was really happy with how these turned out, even though the slicks will completely hide them! LOL

P8173513z-vi.jpg

P8173515z-vi.jpg

P8173518z-vi.jpg

P8173520z-vi.jpg

Whew! That's it for now.....I'm going back to work!!

Clay