Model Cars Magazine Forum

You ever see Young kids buy models,

You ever see a young kid buy a model, I'm in SW fla. and can say i have...

Like under 21... not us Old kids,,,

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY...........

GROWING UP IS A OPTION......

Remember when hobby shops had a slot car track in them??

Edited by rel14

Kids come all shapes , all sizes , all ages ...................... Ed Shaver

According to my wife I am a big kid and I am 48 years old! :P

I think some of it has to do with availability and cost. 40 years ago my Mom could buy me a kit at the grocery/drug store when she was shopping for $3.00 and I would have new (extra) chores to do once I got home. Today you would have to drive out of your way to find model kits, at least here in Charlotte you would, and unless you went to Hobby Lobby or Michaels with a coupon, you will be out $25.

A quote from Jack White (formerly of the White Stripes) that I read in Sunday's New York Times:

“This generation is so dead,” he said at one point. “You ask a kid, ‘What are you doing this Saturday?’ and they’ll be playing video games or watching cable, instead of building model cars or airplanes or doing something creative. Kids today never say, ‘Man, I’m really into remote-controlled steamboats.’ They never say that.”

And Jack White (age 36) is probably a "kid" to a lot of us here, myself included. No real point, I guess - except that the world is in a constant state of change, and it's all a matter of perspective.

When is the last time you even saw a Hobby Shop.

They're all gone in Houston but one, Larry's Hobby Shop and it's way out on the edge of town, and a couple of RC Shops in town.

In a city of 4.2 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid Mr. Louie's Hobby Shop in Chalmette, Louisiana was the center attraction for all kids.

We weren't influenced in the 50's and 60's by gangs, MTV or little tiny screens of dancing pixels.

There's very litle individualism in kids today and building Models is not an instant gratification thing.

Building Models is a "do" thing and today kids don't have to do anything but look up the answer on the Internet.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

It wasn't at a hobby shop but i was at a swap and one kid was buying model. When I was leaving his mom and dad were helping him load up his trophies he won an the 20 or so kits that he had bought. Tjey said he paid for ir all and enjoed doing models over video games. He was around 14 years old.

Guest Johnny

I have seen one just about every time I go to Hobby Lobby! Most are with their dad who evidently is a builder himself. Seen a couple with mom looking too.

One the mom says to him that she didn't know how to tell what might be for a beginner or his age group. So I pointed out the age ratings on the kit boxes and what it means. They bought 2 skill level 1 and a skill level 2 after she saw a corvette "like grandpa's" on the shelf! :lol:

As a matter of fact,yes I have and it happened at the local Hobby Lobby.I was looking at some kits and there was a kid with his mom and he was buying the AMT version of the Challenger and was building it for his dad.The thing was he was going to brush paint it orange and I seen his mom was looking at the spray paint,so I offered some advice on how it would look better if it was spray painted and asked her if there would be a problem with him using the paint and she said no as long as it was done outside.So I showed her a couple cans of Model Masters Hemi Orange and Hugger Orange Custom Lacquer System(I know they are not the correct color)but it was all they had to offer other than the Testors line and better than brush painting it with a 1/2 oz jar of Testors Orange.She took the Hemi Orange and they both thanked me for the help and I then I told him to have fun and I'm sure dad would be surprised.I've also helped a couple other people(older) at the same Hobby Lobby but they did'nt see what they wanted and I pointed them in the right direction to the only local hobby shop here in town and was thanked for that.I started to think maybe I should get a job at Hobby Lobby in the model section.LOL

I should note that the kid looked no more than 10 or 11 years old.

I have seen one just about every time I go to Hobby Lobby! Most are with their dad who evidently is a builder himself. Seen a couple with mom looking too.

One the mom says to him that she didn't know how to tell what might be for a beginner or his age group. So I pointed out the age ratings on the kit boxes and what it means. They bought 2 skill level 1 and a skill level 2 after she saw a corvette "like grandpa's" on the shelf! :lol:

I too have done this while browsing in the kit aisle. It's kind of fun getting someone involved with the right model, knowing they will finish it, and hopefully not get frustrated with a kit to advanced for their skill level.

In fact that is how I landed a job in a hobby shop in the 80's. I did the interview, and when we got back to the store there were 2 guys looking at a Hubley kit. Long story short I talked them into buying 3 kits, all that were in stock at the time, and was offered a job right after.

I see it every once in a while. The LHS I frequent keeps a good selection of snap kits around, and they have them at just the right eye level for younger builders and at $12.00 or so, not a bad buy for mom or dad. When Hobbytown has their National contests I usually see a fair number of younger builders entering kits.

My kids that are still at home all build models. The oldest of them (a 15 year old) is currently building a vinyl model of Ghost Rider. She's been working on it for some time and doesn't do it too often, but she does work on them and enjoys them. She is currently saving up $60 to buy the large Shelby GT model that came out a few months ago. The 13 year old is currently building an A10 Warthog. He wants to do it in a three color camouflage pattern. He has two more kits waiting for this to be finished. The 11 year old is almost done building his Plymouth Prowler and was talking last night about which kit to do next (he has a stash of four more cars). Finally, my 9 year old is a modeling fanatic - so much so that she decided to give her seats a purple bath when she wasn't happy with how the paint came out. She constantly has a model build going (currently working on a '64 Impala) and loves figuring out what colors she will do or things that she will do in order to make it "better". She recently completed a '50 Mercury police car and is already planning on her Firebird when the Impala is done.

When is the last time you even saw a Hobby Shop.

They're all gone in Houston but one, Larry's Hobby Shop and it's way out on the edge of town, and a couple of RC Shops in town.

In a city of 4.2 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid Mr. Louie's Hobby Shop in Chalmette, Louisiana was the center attraction for all kids.

We weren't influenced in the 50's and 60's by gangs, MTV or little tiny screens of dancing pixels.

There's very litle individualism in kids today and building Models is not an instant gratification thing.

Building Models is a "do" thing and today kids don't have to do anything but look up the answer on the Internet.

CadillacPat

have you tried m&m hobbies and g&g railroad. they have a nice selection of models and supplies. m&m is on the east side and g&g is near medical center on times bvld.

im with james.... ive probly spent about 2k on hobby stuff this year already, Im 25.... not a kid, but while the buddies were out drinking and acting up getting in trouble, I was building model cars..... then got into 1:1 stuff.... and when my friends were driving saturns and tauruses..... I was driving the stuff that I build models of, 70 monte carlo, various cadillacs, camaros, etc.

have you tried m&m hobbies and g&g railroad. they have a nice selection of models and supplies. m&m is on the east side and g&g is near medical center on times bvld.

Hey Brandon,

Yes, G&G (foremost a Train Shop) is over in the Village, they've been there 50 years but everything I used to get there I buy online cheaper, and M&M (RC Shop) is over behind the Galleria on Post Oak but I didn't care for their service or their supplies.

I don't care for the attitude at Larry's either over even Race's place in Spring Cypress. First time I ever saw dead people working behind the counter.

The best place in Houston, Hobby Island run by Dave, sold out a few years ago.

CadillacPat

To my surprise yes I have.

During the spring break I was at my friends hobby shop having a coffee and 3 young boys walked into the store. They spent almost an hour checking out all of the model kits before they each made a purchase.

Boy did that bring back memories of my friends and I going into hobby shops at that age.

Even a bigger surprise, one of the boys was looking over the stamps in the shop and bought some of those. My friend gave them a break on the price of the models and gave each one of them a little book on stamp collecting.

I really was moved by this, but my friend told me they come in from time to time. He also said there are other kids who come in as well who are equally excited about modelling.