Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plymouth GTX daily driven

kruleworld

I felt like starting a new model so i went through my stash and found i had two 71 GTXs. i'm going to build one as a fairly stock daily driver, (the other will be a hotted up muscle car).

i did the paint in Export Chrome Yellow and clear coated it.

plymouthgtx1_01.jpg

after painting the chassis i weathered it with acrylics and added some detail paint. the engine i want to look tired,

so that was weathered too. i added some extra detailing to the engine, like ht leads.

plymouthgtx1_02.jpg

same with the interior, i kept it in good condition, but gave it a coat of dust to make it look more used.

plymouthgtx1_03.jpg

I dropped the nice rims in favour of some steelies with dog dish caps i took from a 68 charger kit. The build up of the chassis revealed a problem with the rear axle alignment, the wheels are too far back and too low. i added 3mm riser blocks to the rear of the leaf springs and removed the locating tabs so i could move it forward 1mm.

plymouthgtx1_04.jpg

work on detailing the engine, adding a few more cables

plymouthgtx1_05.jpg

plymouthgtx1_08.jpg

Looking good so far!

I have one I started the other day as somethinh to work on while giving another project a lil brake.

I slightly widened the rear wheel wells for a wider tire. I basically removed the fron part of the rear wheel well and pushed it inward till it match the rear part of it and it was straight. I also had to add some blocks in the rear to get it higher and I lengthened the rear part of the chassis about 5mm and also extended the rear frame rail farther back. Personally I am very happy i did that as it looks better. The chassis just seemed to short and didn't fit up against the rear valance good enough for me. enough of my wip!

KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK! The steelies look perfect on it!

Can you post a tutorial on how you weathered the chassis and interior

Nice work! What did you do to simulate the simulated wood in the interior? :rolleyes:

the wood and weathering were both done with a weathering set of acrylic paints, "Dust and Rust" diorama set by Lifecolor. i did the wood by painting light rust then after it dried i did a thin coat of dark rust. the chassis/engine was done with a mix of the rust colours and flat black. just paint different tones on different parts to add subtle variety. Thinning the paint also helps to run the color into cracks and detail. the gas tank was done by mixing silver acrylic paint with various rust tones and flat black (grease from the diff tends to collect on the front of the gas tank).

Edited by kruleworld