Model Cars Magazine Forum

Take a model on the airplane...

I need to fly wit a 1/24 model truck, and I couldn't find a safe box for it, so I think to use a metal toolbox, that is a good size for the model and on the 45" limit to a carry on luggage. I will remove all the inside, and put the model in it, using polystyrene for keep it in place.

The toolbox (with tools) are banned, but in my case I will use it only as metal container with no tools in it. There are that you know some issue to have a metal container as carry on luggage in the airplane? Because on the flight company and TSA website I cannot find any specification about the luggage material.

You might want to ask Steve Perry for this one. He's taken models to the GSL contest and I've seen how well his models are packed. I don't remember him telling me that he's ever been hassled. One of the guys should know too, I KNOW more than one of you guys have flown with your models. Mr.Biggs??? :D;)

@Cranky, the problem is that I couldn't find a plastic box for it. The model is pretty big, it is long 14inches and wide 7. I search everywhere for boxes, but with no luck. I found plastic tool boxes, but they were out of the carry on luggage measurement.

@Futurabat, Probably is better contact the flight company and ask them. I don't want have "surprise" a the airport. :)

Thanks!

I've carried on cases of Customized HotWheels on the way to Conventions.

The Scanners' are always amused because they can distinguish them as HotWheels immediately.

Sometimes I'm asked if they can see a few of them and I've passed out business cards and later sold a piece to one of the Scanners'.

Only once was I asked if they could take out one of the VW DragBuses and test it in the Parts Per Million Scanner to test for explosives.

CadillacPat

You might want to ask Steve Perry for this one. He's taken models to the GSL contest and I've seen how well his models are packed. I don't remember him telling me that he's ever been hassled. One of the guys should know too, I KNOW more than one of you guys have flown with your models. Mr.Biggs??? :D;)

I flew different times with models, 1/25 cars, or smaller scale, but packed in cardboard boxes inside the luggage, and no problem with that, my issue is that this model is pretty big, and the only box I found for it is a metal container (toolbox), that I need to find out if it is ok to have it on the airplane.

I've carried on cases of Customized HotWheels on the way to Conventions.

The Scanners' are always amused because they can distinguish them as HotWheels immediately.

Sometimes I'm asked if they can see a few of them and I've passed out business cards and later sold a piece to one of the Scanners'.

Only once was I asked if they could take out one of the VW DragBuses and test it in the Parts Per Million Scanner to test for explosives.

CadillacPat

But they can scan a metal toolbox? Probably they need to open it and remove the model. No issue with that, probably I should bring with me some picture of the model during the build, so they can see the metal parts on it. :)

I flew different times with models, 1/25 cars, or smaller scale, but packed in cardboard boxes inside the luggage, and no problem with that, my issue is that this model is pretty big, and the only box I found for it is a metal container (toolbox), that I need to find out if it is ok to have it on the airplane.

I have a couple of those lightweight aluminum toolboxes in which I have carried models to shows on airliners. Scanners use magnetometers, not Xrays to scan carry-on and checked baggage, so that penetrates the aluminum casing, shows whatever is inside. I had a TSA agent comment to me at Indianapolis International back in 2007, as I was going through the securty checkpoint that he'd seen several model cars go through that day (I was on my way to GSL).

As for a 14" long, 7" wide model, there are very sturdy "mailer boxes" available, the white ones you fold up with tab & slot assembly--those work great, can be carried either loose, or packed into luggage, your choice. I used a pair of 550-count sports card collectors' boxes to carry my '53 Hudson and Kurtis Midget to NNL-East this past weekend, just packed the models lightly with "T-shirt knit cotton scraps" (sold in a lot of big box stores as cleaning/dust cloths, BTW) , laid the boxes in the bottom of my back pack (same UnderArmor back pack I wear when going to work by bike), along with an extra jacket and a book to read, and they traveled beautifully, outbound and return trip (even accidently dropped the backpack, with NO damage to either model--so I know that can be done, and will continue to do it in the future.

Art

@Art, thank you for all the infos!!!

The toolbox I will use, is steel, like the one in the picture. I don't know if there is difference. 0886e624722e4e68ae64bd2.jpg

And this is the model that I want to take with me. I will probably zip tie the axles on a base, because I cannot put stuff on to of it.

63vi.jpg

I contact (by email) the flight company and the TSA. The TSA told me that it depend form the country I will fly in. And the fly company said that I can use this box and that be sure I can open it if the authority ask me to do so.

Pretty happy about it... :)

@Art, thank you for all the infos!!!

The toolbox I will use, is steel, like the one in the picture. I don't know if there is difference. 0886e624722e4e68ae64bd2.jpg

And this is the model that I want to take with me. I will probably zip tie the axles on a base, because I cannot put stuff on to of it.

63vi.jpg

Who made the model?

Ha Ha, I used to carry my models at the show/contests in a beer box (24 bottle). Some of the people look at you different, but the others, (you are right) are very friendly, some ask where's the party! :D

Unfortunately the model I will bring with me in this trip will not fit any beer box I have.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update.

I had zero problem to take the model in the tool box with my fire truck with me, and it made a safe trip after 13hrs flight! :) At the custom in Amsterdam they ask me to open the box, because they did not understand what was inside. :)

Some people look at it in a weird way... Some travelers while waiting the airplane ask me about my weird box, and they look at me more weird when I told them that inside I had a fire truck! :D

Thanks to all, above all Pete for the precious ideas... :)