Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you use modern cars parts for rat rods?

I'm with Andy. I don't usually use modern parts, like modern engines, or wheels. YUCK.

On Drag Racing car, I might use Electric Fan, or Disk Brakes, just because everyone uses them in real life, but otherwise I don't find use for them. And all of the spare bodies what can't be built into Factory Stock (for example), will be converted to Drag Cars.

Modern car parts look out of place on a rat rod but if you are doing a custom modern hot rod you could use a new Mustang or Vette engine. My left over bodies are usually used to test paint techniques or various paint brands for compatibility prior to shooting my actual build.

Define modern. I've seen a few rat rods that are using more recent small block Chevy and Ford truck motors that have had their EFI systems pulled for carbs, some even using more modern US and Japanese 4 cylinders (also truck sourced) for their rat rods.

plan to build an Ls (gen III or IV) based engine for my 1:1 camaro eventually, simply because they are the greatest engine ever made, by anybody.

but modern parts on my models no. cause i buy no modern models to rob parts off, because i dislike modern cars!

edit - rat rods are hot roddings Unwanted Ginger stepchildren.

Edited by MachinistMark

Why not use modern parts in a Rat Rod? My understanding is that Rat Rods came about through rodders using whatever they could get their hands on to maker their car go fast, sometimes even using stolen parts. I personally feel that being purist about it is too limiting, and goes against that spirit.

I say, with models and 1:1 cars, do whatever looks good and feels good, and whatever you can afford.