Model Cars Magazine Forum

opening a seized paint bottle

Run hot tap water over the cap for a few minutes then it'll usually come right off. It might need a little gentle persuasion with pliers, but not much. As mentioned, keeping the threads clean will help prevent a stuck cap in the future.

That's the way to do it.

Doesn't mater if the paint is acrylic or enamel or anything else. Just run some hot water over the cap for 30-60 seconds. The metal cap will expand more than the glass bottle will, and the cap will come right off.

It being acrylic what I have done in the past is fill your sink to just above the cap, place your bottle upside down and let in soak for a few minutes, then use a pair of pliers or what have you, you shouldn't have any problems, I've don it many times.

Nick

Run hot tap water over the cap for a few minutes then it'll usually come right off. It might need a little gentle persuasion with pliers, but not much. As mentioned, keeping the threads clean will help prevent a stuck cap in the future.

Same thing I do, except I have a couple of those strap wrenches I use instead of pliers. One on the bottle and one on the cap- they provide enough leverage to loosen the cap with practically no force.

Hot water always works, but I hate going upstairs from the basement to access the facet. I used pliers for years but they always dented the cap and made it worst the next time. Then I tried these bottle openers from Micro-Mark and have retired the pliers to the tool box. They work very well and only the most torque toughened caps need the hot water. Even then opener works sooner on them.