Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 300C SRT-8 and SRT-8 Touring Wagon

Zoom Zoom

Contrary to early rumors, the new Revell Uptown 300C SRT-8 is basically no different than the previous Uptown Charger or STS-V; it's a stock-proportioned car without door handles, a full set of stock decal markings, and can be built relatively stock w/some ingenuity.

Here's the basic model w/some wheels from a diecast:

1-vi.jpg

Here is the 300C SRT-8 Touring Wagon conversion:

2-vi.jpg

It's a fairly simple conversion, angle cut the front clip from 300 (including cowl), remove same from Magnum, spread the Magnum body out a bit to match, and voila. The 300 is 1/24 and wider than Magnum. However it's no wider than the AMT 300, which is just as wide as 1/24 but shorter.

A plastruct tube is welded in place behind firewall area to provide support/strength, and to keep the body from flexing at the point it's been glued together. It required very little filler so far.

3-vi.jpg

Wheel donors. Maisto Chrysler ME Four Twelve diecast concept. Fronts are the same scale 20" size as Magnum SRT-8 wheels/tires. Rears are wider and taller. The wagon gets all four fronts, the larger sedan will get all four rears. Design is nearly identical to the 300C SRT-8 stock wheels :P

4-vi.jpg

I have no idea when these will be built; I have other more pressing projects. But at least I got this out of my system, I've been dying to get the plastic SRT-8 kit since it was announced. It's a better parts donor than the AMT kit which isn't an SRT-8 and has inferior headlight details.

Bob, thanks for the mini review!

I really like the way this one looks compared to the AMT kit.

You must have a really sorry looking die-cast collection!

I look forward to you completing this one too! You'll have quite the trio when completed.

Chris

Thank you Bob for the update. I just picked up to Revell 300C yesterday and am planning to do the same thing with the Magnum. Your confirmation of the approach and description of what you did will help immensely.

I also had to cut down the height/width of the 300 windshield to fit; the Magnum one is too narrow once the conversion is done. Then I had to add some styrene strip to the inner A pillars to fill some of the gap. Nothing terrible, just a bit tricky. The rear bumper will need some work, it needs to be based on the 300 instead of Magnum. Not sure if I'll add the Euro fog lamps or not. I'm just going to cut out a big section of the 300 rear bumper face and splice it into the Magnum part.

Dash fitment may also be challenging, I'm also using the inner fenders from the 300 instead of Magnum because they fit better and have decent engraving close to the same level of detail as the Magnum. I'll splice in part of the Magnum firewall, and cut out the "engine" engraving from the 300 piece.

Boggles my mind that we don't get this car in the US. Honestly, do Americans really prefer overweight/topheavy Grand Cherokee SRT-8's over one of these? Sheesh... :P

I also had to cut down the height/width of the 300 windshield to fit; the Magnum one is too narrow once the conversion is done. Then I had to add some styrene strip to the inner A pillars to fill some of the gap. Nothing terrible, just a bit tricky. The rear bumper will need some work, it needs to be based on the 300 instead of Magnum. Not sure if I'll add the Euro fog lamps or not. I'm just going to cut out a big section of the 300 rear bumper face and splice it into the Magnum part.

Dash fitment may also be challenging, I'm also using the inner fenders from the 300 instead of Magnum because they fit better and have decent engraving close to the same level of detail as the Magnum. I'll splice in part of the Magnum firewall, and cut out the "engine" engraving from the 300 piece.

Boggles my mind that we don't get this car in the US. Honestly, do Americans really prefer overweight/topheavy Grand Cherokee SRT-8's over one of these? Sheesh... :P

Thanks again for the added detail. I pretty much had only gotten to the front with a diagonal instead of a body height straight cut. I believe someone did the AMT 300 front end with a diagonal cut onto the Magnum.

I agree that this version should be offered in the US. It adds quite a classic look to the Magnum. I also think this treatment was done in an Overhauling episode to a gal's Magnum.

Thanks again for the added detail. I pretty much had only gotten to the front with a diagonal instead of a body height straight cut. I believe someone did the AMT 300 front end with a diagonal cut onto the Magnum.

I agree that this version should be offered in the US. It adds quite a classic look to the Magnum. I also think this treatment was done in an Overhauling episode to a gal's Magnum.

Gregg did one with the diagonal cut using the AMT 300 which is just as wide as the Revell version. I had wracked my brain trying to figure how to do the conversion because of the width disparity, then he came along and made it look easy :o

If you remember the Skyline wagon I started, that was because of my frustration w/the dissimilar parts between the AMT kit and the Magnum, and the fact the SRT-8 kit wasn't going to be available for a long time. I'll still finish it, after a few other projects ahead of it.

Did you notice on the Overhaulin' conversion that they used a 6 cylinder 300 front end? :P Headlights differ noticeably between V6 and Hemi 300's.

I was in Canada last week and they had a 300 Touring (magnum with 300 front clip) in Ontario. It was silver Hemi with dark grey leather interior. I gotta tell you I too agree they should sell this in the USA, but Chrysler thinks that with the Durango and its 'twin' the Chrysler Aspen a 300 based wagon would not sell well here :huh: .

CHRYSLER_300C_Touring.jpg

The one I saw was IDENTICAL to this one B)

5-vi.jpg

The leftover carcasses. Magnum front clip and 300 body. A diagonal cut from the A pillars keeps the cowl w/the clip, while allowing the body to be spread to match the donor clip. I won't combine these two parts, I'm a much bigger fan of the 300 front clip vs. the Magnum, even though the Magnum SRT-8 front clip is much cooler than more pedestrian Magnums. If anything, I may do an '08 Magnum SRT-8 w/the new front clip which I happen to prefer over the current variation.