Model Cars Magazine Forum

"the wall" (no not pink floyd, my man cave)

hey guys

as most of you wont know ive moved into a new house not too long ago

in the move i have lost the mancave and there is no room set aside for modeling

for the time being all my model stuff was sitting in the basement where also the cat resides

(seeing how the cat lives there the door needs to stay open and this also makes it impossible to keep the boy out)

well, this 4th i managed to put up a wall

ready to see her?

allright, little teaser ;)

1341529072.jpg

1341529779.jpg

now, this wall will keep the cat and the boy out of the mancave (see, not the cat cave, not the boy cave, the MANCAVE)

wont you enter?

this is the wall we just moved through, or more acurately, the door in the wall

1341529019.jpg

(pay no mind to the black shelf, thats the ONLY room the wifey will get in there (not the wifey cave, the MANCAVE)

turning to your left we will make a full 360 (in pictures) of the MANCAVE

1341529972.jpg

1341528969.jpg

1341528900.jpg

1341530120.jpg

1341529019.jpg

i still need to find the right set up, what goes where and slap in a workbench

well, there you have it, i will soon be back to modelling

on a side note, any one have any thoughts on where to go with the exhaust of the paintbooth ?

Looks like a good place to hide out.

and there in lies the only flaw

i couldnt find a door know laying around other then the one that used to be in teh front door

the key to it is long since gone so it would be possible (and maybe even plausible) for the wifey to turn the lock on while im hiding down there

(anyone ever seen the shining eposide of bobs burgers?)

My kind of place! Nice trap set! B) I'd never get any modeling done! :lol:

thanks

its a pacific, which i gues is build with the machines DW replaced a few decades ago?

all the hardware is left over from my pearl export kit, now that was a nice set

i think i have tried every imaginable make of drums out there but nothing NOTHING beats the quality of a pearl

i still regret the day i traded in my worn out pearl double kicker for a brand new iron cobra :(

on a side note, i have foam in between all the skins so its actually very bearable to play, even without earprotection

Nice room and drums. I have a sort of "Man Cave" where I keep my stuff and build and display my models. My drums are in another room now so I don't have that distraction from building. I have the problem of volume too. I have learned to play without most of the noise but drums are just naturally loud. I have cats too and one of them likes to sleep under the floor tom. Better than on my bench like she did before, messing up the projects and knocking parts on the floor. Now she sleeps next to the computer and likes to get on my or my girl friends lap when we go on-line. But the cats and the girlfriend all leave when I start to play the drums. I too like Pearl hardware and DW drums. But my old road kit is-was a cheap 25 year old CB700 set that I worked on to sound great in most rooms. My lady friend recently found a set of nice basic drums at a church yard sale for $100 and they have become my gig set after I worked on them. Speaking of drums and musical equipment, back in '63 I build some 1/25th scale drums, guitars and amps for a kick. I put them in the second Johan plastic case I ever bought and displayed them at one of the local model shows recently. I really don't think I would have the patience to build them now. It is hard enough to build all the projects I have now, find time to work and practice the drums and spend time with my girlfriend and the "Honey Do List". But the neat thing is that these are the same things I have been interested in since I started building models, playing drums and chasing girls. Didn't have or even had heard of, a man cave then, but we got along with what we had. I like the idea of foam to muffle the drums for practice. It never hurts to protect the ears. I know after 40 plus years next to Marshall, Fender and Peavey amps on 11. But I used ear protection so now I can hear my friends and grand kids talk to me. Now back to the bench, it is too late for the drums and my girlfriend is watching TV in the other room and the cats are asleep-- perfect time to build on that '37 Rat truck with a BBC with a tunnel ram I am working on. Bye. Patrick

that would have been a good idea Jim

but money was tight on this budget (notice the drywall is only on one side of the wall?) so no paint for me

luckily there was some paint on the floor allread so that is covered (pun intended)

i do still want to get a workbench in there someday

maybe i can arrange it so that the weight bench acts as a seat for the drums, the paintbooth and even the workbench ?

Eelco Women are like water we need them to survive , but they just creep into places were they just should not be . LOL

That little shelf is just the start of the creep more will follow !!LOL Just kidding.

It looks like your man cave is on an outside wall , so just put in another dryer vent to the outside and pipe into it. Just make sure that you put a filter or two in to trap the paint before it enters the outside duct.

You put the spray booth right next to the furnace and water heater??? :blink::o:huh:

put it there ?

noooo, erm, its just staged

thats right, staged

lol

im still trying to figure out where everything goes but right next to an open flame may not be the best place for a spray booth...allthough...it might help with curing times ;)

Andy, those are outside walls but they are all in the basement

so i would have to duct up somehow aswell

i wonder if it would be possible to find the origenal dryer duct and use that ?

(we live in a duplex with her parents next door so when it was time to move the washer and dryer i accidentally put them in the wrong side and hooked them up there)

then i just need to block off the other side so the fumes dont enter the laudry room

as for filters, there is one furnace filter that sits in the bottom of the spray booth but a second one wouldnt hurt (not sure if it would help though)

Above the wall should be the sil plate and then the floor joist's on top of them. you or someone could put a hole in between the joists to vent outside. I think that you are correct that you would have to keep the two separate form each other .The smell would be bad for the clothes.

i wonder if it would be possible to find the origenal dryer duct and use that ?

Yes, if you mean the end of the vent line, where it passes through the exterior wall.

Solid PVC pipe or sheet metal ducting would be an even better choice than the flexible stuff shown in your picture, too. The fewer nooks and crannies and paint residue can get caught in on it's way out (if it gets past both the filter and explosion proof fan), the better.