Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chevrolet Impala Wagon

Billy Kingsley

Finished this one up along with the two NASCAR builds. The time to complete was less then a half hour, I was just slacking on it!

It's an R&R Vacuum Craft(!) kit, which I've had for years. One of the first resins I bought, actually. The build isn't great but it's not the worst thing I've ever done, either.

I had to modify every, single part to get it done though...

The side windows are scratchbuilt, and may I reiterate, again, that I HATE vacu-formed clear parts!

I also super-glued the hood shut.

I combined the resin with parts from the Model King issue 63 Chevy, from 1994.

It didn't really photograph well, it looks better in person. The photos seem to add texture in odd places..

July2007198-vi.jpg

July2007201-vi.jpg

July2007202-vi.jpg

July2007203-vi.jpg

July2007204-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You did a very nice job on that. Black Chevies are always cool.

I hear you about vac-formed glass, most often it never fits as well as it should, unless it's a really high $$ resin kit from one of the better mfgs., which definitely excludes R&R. I have a '61 wagon that I've played w/a few times, it's a handful :)

But as you've proven a bit of perseverance pays off.

Billy, I can really relate to that build. The vacu-formed windshield and rear window for the R&R '58 Pontiac Bonneville I just did were unusable. Luckily the AMT '58 Chevy's were available to use. I also had to modify every part to fit, which is common, and fill a couple hundred pinholes. Good job on that!

Thanks for the comments guys! R&R kits are an adventure, that's for sure!! :) I actually have an equal number of R&R kits and RMR kits to lead my resin stash. I have 6 more to go before I build them all, and I still plan to buy more. Must be the lacquer fumes :D

Ken, I am doing good. Summer is my down time for modeling, usually, but sometimes the building bug just strikes and I gotta' build! This is one of those times. When I am not modeling, I spend less time on the boards...