Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's talk PAINT and PRIMER

So I had bought about 15 cans of Krylon Paint from a old hadware store that was going out of business. I personally do not like this paint. I have never had a single paint job look descent with this stuff. Now I have 3 Projects on my table that I've been getting ready for paint.

I know the Tamiya paints work descent but are expensive here. 6.00 for that very little can of paint, then I need the primer, then I need the clear coat which adds up to about 20.00 per model after tax and I don't really have enough to use even if I wanted to do a touch up.

The next one is Testors One coat. I like this stuff, I've painted a couple bodies with no primer and just a clear coat on top of it because before, the paint didn't pop as well as I felt if should have..

Last is duplicolor. I find myself using this on almost all my home projects but am yet to use it on a build... How does the paint lay down? Does it polish out well? This I.like because I can pay 5.00 and squeeze 2-3 paint jobs out of one can.

I know everyone's answer will probably be a air brush but right now that's not in my budget. I'm planning to get a compressor and brush at tax time. So for now I am stuck to the rattle can.

Any input, criticizm, help is welcome! I want to be able to lay down some descent paint, I've seen others do it, just never done it myself.... yet...

Airbrush is not a "Must Have" equipment. I have painted many, many bodies with spray can paints, and they turn out well too. I have to say that spray can paint is as good as Airbrushed paint, after clearcoat and polishing. There is not a big difference. ;)

I can't say what Spray Paint to use, since we have different paints here in Finland than you have there.

I have tried and tried to get Krylon to lay down smooth for me with no luck. I sand it smooth and try a different approach still with less than desirable results. Sand smooth and try again with same poor results. Sanded smooth again and cleared with Model Master Clear Gloss Lacquer Finish. Sanded and polished that and came out with a pretty nice paint job. Too much work for the results achieved. Tried again and still cannot get it to lay down smooth like most other paints will.

I use Duplicolor a lot and it is great paint. I usually also use Duplicolor's Primer-Sealer, and Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer clearcoat which is also great. At least 3 or 4 coats of clear over the paint and you usually won't have to worry about polishing thru to the paint. I use Novus 2 to polish my paint jobs as I found it does a good job. The polishing cloths are good too but They get kind of worn out after awhile.

I've used the Testor's One Coat lacquers too and I love their color selections. However I've had issues with the paint "bubbling up" on the bodies, even though i was very careful to NOT put the paint on too heavy.

When you guys paint with Dupli color, how many coats of the actual color are you laying down? I always feel like when I do more than one coat, it fills my door and body lines with paint and always ruins the paint job. I don't have a lot of experience with painting yet but I feel like that's the most important part and I need to get it down... After I have the body covered in primer, how many coats of the color do I lay down? how much time should I allow it in between coats? how many coats of clear, same time frame in between coats?

Some paint works for different guys. You have to find what works for your liking. l like testors paint and they have the best clear on the market. many guys use testor clear over tamiya and l know guys who don't clear duplicolor and just wax it. Plastikote and walmart color place primers are the most used. l do like tamiya fine surface primer also. krylon workes for me but l seldom use it on bodies. the good thing about testors it does not have to be primered for enamel or lacquer. if you spray the one coat in mist coats it comes out better....hope this helps

So I had bought about 15 cans of Krylon Paint from a old hadware store that was going out of business. I personally do not like this paint. I have never had a single paint job look descent with this stuff. Now I have 3 Projects on my table that I've been getting ready for paint.

I know the Tamiya paints work descent but are expensive here. 6.00 for that very little can of paint, then I need the primer, then I need the clear coat which adds up to about 20.00 per model after tax and I don't really have enough to use even if I wanted to do a touch up.

The next one is Testors One coat. I like this stuff, I've painted a couple bodies with no primer and just a clear coat on top of it because before, the paint didn't pop as well as I felt if should have..

Last is duplicolor. I find myself using this on almost all my home projects but am yet to use it on a build... How does the paint lay down? Does it polish out well? This I.like because I can pay 5.00 and squeeze 2-3 paint jobs out of one can.

I know everyone's answer will probably be a air brush but right now that's not in my budget. I'm planning to get a compressor and brush at tax time. So for now I am stuck to the rattle can.

Any input, criticizm, help is welcome! I want to be able to lay down some descent paint, I've seen others do it, just never done it myself.... yet...

What colors did you get? If it's the old formula I would buy every can you have. You can tell by the recoat instructions, if it says recoat anytime it's the old acrylic laquer. If it says recoat within an hour or wait a week it's the new garbage. Also the new stuff has a conehead shaped cap. The white if used properly is the best white I have ever used. You have to use a good primer properly sanded then put a few coats on, then after a couple days sand it all down again to get rid of orange peel then lay lay a few more coats down. Let dry for a copule days then polish. The first couple coats seal the primer which is porous. Edited by 935k3