Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aurora VooDoo Vega build updated 9/18/2012

ratnasty

Hello guys I have been wanting to build a more correct version of the VooDoo Vega than the one that came in the kit. I say more correct rather than accurate replica because I'm not a master when it comes to getting bodies 100% correct so I will do the best I can .I am starting of with a mint kit and some pics of the car I have found. So here goes nothing

Chuck

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Edited by ratnasty

Welcome to my nightmare as I start hacking up the body. The orginal car is a 1974-75 slant nose Vega ,while the kit is a 1971-73 flat nose Vega , so this is the major problem with the kit . Tom also pointed out that the sides of car slant inward to muck and too quickly so i will be addressing that issue also .

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Ok guys I could not sleep last night so it has been 36 hrs staight . My wife is in the hospital so i stayed up all night and got some more done. The Revell funny car will furnish some parts for the conversion and here is what I came up with.

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

the blend between the Aurora body and the Revell parts is not matching up very well on the hood area and the front of the front fenders wells doesn't look right either so a little bit more hacking and gluing is needed. Now its starting to look right.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Now that most of the front end is roughed in here is my first mock-up look at the body. It now comes out to a correct 116 in wheel base car. I still have to do the otherside rear wheel well and spill plate the start the bdy filler and get it smoothed out. Once I get the body done outside and inside and nice and smooth I going to cast this body , because I ain't doing this one again, then I can make a more correct flat nose car and other variations. I still have to work up the fender bumpers for the car also . I was contacted by Curtis Moore after he seen my 1/25th scale body and wanted one done in 1/16th since his dad was the one who worked on the real car . Thats why it has Hagen (Sam Hagen the driver ), Moore (Curtis dad mechanic) West (Tom West ) artist for Aurora and mechanical designer of the kitand Paulding on the roof of the car. Here are the mock-up pics so let me know if I'm on the right path. The aluminum wheels are by Jim at Micro Nitro and they are awesome .

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

DSCI1458-vi.jpg

now its time to sleep

Chuck

Edited by ratnasty

Yes , I'm going to resin cast the body and I also make the decals for the car. You would need an Aurora chassis or you could modify a Revell cassis to fit. I may do a Revell chassis mockup and see what all is involved to to it and supply a instruction sheet with the body and decals for the modeler, but these plans are a little ways out there . But I am not going to do another body thats why Im going to cast it

Chuck

Chuck... this build is looking amazing so far man. You are doing a killer job with this body.... Count me in as another who would pick up one of these in Resin when you get them done as well as a set of Decals. I can't wait to see more of this build.

Hi guys I got the correct front spoiler put back on and started reshaping the front fenders . Now I have grind down the headlight outer ring and install the scaled down smaller one so the headlights aren't so huge . I also have to finish the lower part of the front fenders so I can put the bumper ends back on .Here are a couple of pics

Chuck

DSCI1461-vi.jpg

DSCI1462-vi.jpg

DSCI1463-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Omg!!i cant believe im seeing this model again.i am 43 yrs old and grew up with driver sam hagans son,i had the same model(mother threw it away)! Sooo cool what your doing.i have a pic of me and the real voodoo when i was 5! Keep posting and ill keep looking. Sams not gonna believe it when i show him.blown away!!!

• 4 weeks later...