Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevrolet Camaro - Dale Jr. inspired

Started a new project and yes, you read it right...this kit is my raw material.

100_1400-vi.jpg

Dale Jr's new pro touring Camaro that has taken the 1:1 car world by storm is my inspiration for this project. My original plan was to mate the nose of a Reliable Resin 1970 Camaro SS to an MPC 1971 Camaro Rally Sport. However, I discovered that the front valance, bumper and grille from an AMT 1970-73 annual will fit the front of this kit if you trim about 1/16" from the bottom edge of the front fenders. I got this valance in a package recently with a built MPC 1971 Camaro RS.

100_1403-vi.jpg

I worked this evening modifing a resin front spoiler for a Reliable Resin/MPC Camaro to fit the AMT kit. Also found a resin cowl induction hood for the AMT kit as I PIF'd my stock flat hood to a friend so he could restore a built AMT '72 Camaro. Here's a pic of the front end with the spoiler and resin MPC Camaro bumperettes white glued in place.

100_1405-vi.jpg

100_1406-vi.jpg

If anyone has a flat AMT hood in their parts box, let me know. I'm not really looking to build an exact replica of this car, but the flat hood would help.

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you. I saw the photo in in your album yesterday. Looking good so far. I have a very similar idea in mind for mine. I just happened to start with the same kit. I like what you did with the front. I have been trying out different hoods on mine. I think I could trade trade hoods also. Keep us posted.

Man, when you get back to the bench, you mean it..lol. So far this one looks killer, are you going for an exact replica of the Dale Jr car or your own interpretation(similar to my Porsche and Sally from Cars)? If its your own interpretation, which wheels you gonna use?

Gray

That's going to be sweet when it's done...looks great so far. Another Camaro concept I saw in a mag recently that I really like is the 'F-Bomb' in Hot Rod...flat olive green w/ black trim..interesting.

Edited by Rob Hall

Man, when you get back to the bench, you mean it..lol. So far this one looks killer, are you going for an exact replica of the Dale Jr car or your own interpretation(similar to my Porsche and Sally from Cars)? If its your own interpretation, which wheels you gonna use?

Gray

How about these???

veilside_andrew_dish_18_wide.jpg

I bought an Aoshima Skyline Veilside Combat kit just to rob these wheels and tires from. :o:) I'll probably paint the spokes gunmetal.

Started a new project and yes, you read it right...this kit is my raw material.

Yeah, "raw material" is probably the right name for that kit. :o But I have seen other models you have built so I don't doubt that you can pull it off. Sounds like a cool idea, so it will be really interesting to see how it turns out. :)

Model kits of Second Generation Camaros depict the rear duck tail spoiler as a one piece unit. Why do they do that when every one knows that these are made in three separate parts?

The original MPC part is on top, a modified resin piece on the bottom.

100_1408-vi.jpg

I would have cut it anyway, but it was too narrow to fit the AMT body. I added a piece of .040" styrene to the center section.

100_1409-vi.jpg

I stuck it on with white glue for the pic. The gaps at the lower edge will be corrected with body filler. I attached the spoiler to the car with double sided tape and filled the space with Evercoat Eurosoft filler. I'll post pics later when the parts are finished.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

I expect great things from this project! (you never dissapoint) Good to see you back at the bench.

I'm not familiar with Dale Jrs ride... is it the pic in your avatar?

Can I make a color suggestion? If you're going with a bright pearl orange, go darker than gunmetal on trim... graphite, anthracite, pearl black, etc...

I expect great things from this project! (you never dissapoint) Good to see you back at the bench.

I'm not familiar with Dale Jrs ride... is it the pic in your avatar?

Can I make a color suggestion? If you're going with a bright pearl orange, go darker than gunmetal on trim... graphite, anthracite, pearl black, etc...

Thanks Steve. Yes, that is Junior's car in my avatar. You can see more of it at Detroit Speed & Engineering.

At this time, my car probably will not be orange. Orange, as much as I like it, is overused IMHO. I'm considering a green like HOK Planet Green. I also want to build a white car with black trim, much like this one...

edoferrari599.jpg

I've seen a number or Euro tuner cars done in white and black and they have a clean but sinister look about them.

I've seen a number or Euro tuner cars done in white and black and they have a clean but sinister look about them.

I like the white w/ black wheel look...I have a Revell '06 Mustang I want to do that way..not sure what wheels, though...preferably not a 5-spoke design.

I haven't done as much as I had hoped to this point. Some minor home repair projects plus getting kids ready for college and high school have eaten into my bench time. That being said, the Camaro is almost ready for its first coat of primer.

100_1414-vi.jpg

Got the front valance pan attached and molded to the body. I'm scratchbuilding a grille using a "custom" grille I found in a box of partially built AMT Camaros. Not sure if it came from an annual kit, but I dremeled the deep set grille away from the frame. I've ordered some Detail Master rectangle pattern photo etch grille material. I'll fill the turn signal cum brake ducts with mesh material.

100_1415-vi.jpg

The sides of the valance that came from the annual kit was shorter than the bottom of the fender, so I removed a portion that came in the Z28 kit part and spliced it to the fender. It also provided me with the correct contour for the fender opening.

100_1416-vi.jpg

Not all Gen 2 F-Bodies had chrome drip rails. My 1:1 '74 Camaro did not have them, and this one doesn't either. The three piece rear spoiler still needs glued to the body.

100_1408-vi.jpg

Then, I'll block sand the body and shoot a light coat of Tamiya primer and check the progress on the bodywork.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been nearly three weeks since I've managed to find my workbench. School starts early in Oklahoma and with my oldest daughter now a Freshman at the University of Oklahoma and my youngest a Freshman in High School, family life has kept me real busy. Work has kept me busy as well, but with the Labor Day holiday looming I'm blocking out lots of time this weekend for model building.

The bodywork on the AMT 1970 Camaro is nearly finished and I hope to shoot some primer on it so I can check my progress. I have managed to get some wheels for it. I scored an Aoshima Super VIP Celsior kit just for its rolling stock.

box_v48.jpg

I'm using the centers with my own resin cast deep dish rims and "big n little" Pirelli tires. The wheel centers will be painted black or dark gunmetal.

100_1420-vi.jpg

I molded in the three piece rear spoiler. Just need to so some final sanding and some spot putty before primer.

100_1422-vi.jpg

I have decided on a color for it...Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green.

Watch for more updates during the long weekend.

Looking good Marc I like the stance! I obviously won't be at the Model Meeting Saturday since I will probably be floating behind the cig. boat enjoying a cold adult beverage. Glad to see some work being done, I was able to get my Camaro in clear this week since the kids were at the lake with grandma! Oh yeah tell that daughter go POKES!!!!LOL!!!

Marc, you've really got the pro touring 'look' down pat.....another slick ride in the works. That Tamiya green oughta really look good on it as well; if you use gunmetal for the base color, you could mask off the Dale Jr.-style stripes before shooting the top color :rolleyes: .

You're a pretty bad influence with these cars you build - you got me started searching for my AMT Camaro kit. It's going to be yellow, and here's the only other hint as to my plan :P :

364.jpg

Marc, you've really got the pro touring 'look' down pat.....another slick ride in the works. That Tamiya green oughta really look good on it as well; if you use gunmetal for the base color, you could mask off the Dale Jr.-style stripes before shooting the top color :rolleyes: .

You're a pretty bad influence with these cars you build - you got me started searching for my AMT Camaro kit. It's going to be yellow, and here's the only other hint as to my plan :P :

Thanks for the tip on painting the stripes. That might be just the ticket. I saw the spoon pics in your Fotki and that green looks good over gunmetal.

Glad to hear that I'm such a bad influence :o on your model building!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do to a Camaro.