Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford mild custom

2002p51

Really nice mild custom, Drew! Great color combo and the taillights are just perfect; those Oldsmobile-style bullets are THE classic choice for the '52-'54 Ford. A simple nose, deck and door handle shave do wonders to clean up the original design.

Since you asked the only things I'd like to have seen done differently would be the rear end just a bit lower than the front. As a general rule cars with skirts tend to "flow" better with a little tail-dragger stance or at least low and level. Perhaps you could've carried the Olds theme a little further with a set of Fiesta caps from the Revell Roth '56 Ford pickup.

Oh, and the front turn signals would be clear rather than amber on the '53 Ford (and just about every other pre-1962 American car.)

Looking forward to your next custom!

Well John I'm with ya on the stance, I had hoped it would be lower too. I made 3" scale lowering blocks at first and the tires wouldn't fit inside the fenders. So I made some 2" blocks and the tires are touching the inside top of the fender wells. To get it any lower would require surgery and I was trying to keep this simple. Same story in the front, in fact I had to raise the front slightly in final assembly for the same reason, to get the tires in the fenders.

I also would've liked to have used different wheel covers but just didn't have anything on hand that would fit.

And of course, I know that the stock '53 Ford turn signals are clear, but since this car ain't stock, I upgraded a little with amber lenses. :)

... it's that I hate the fill-sand-prime-repeat that's involved in just about any custom.

As do I, but for whatever reason EVERY project I start ends up requiring a great deal of it. I passionately hate bodywork, but I always take on projects that need a bunch of it. :blink:

I think I'd have done a two-tone for the interior- seat and door panel inserts in a matching (or close to) body color, just to break up the sea of white. Not that the all-white treatment looks bad, mind you! But all in all, very nice work on this one.

I love this one Drew. The colour, stance and finish look perfect. The contrast between the roof and body colour appears to be subtle, but I think it looks better for it.

I often wonder why I don't build more curbside models like this. In the time it takes me to build one full detail model I could have built two curbsides. Now you have inspired me :) .