Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late prewar-style dry-lakes '29 Ford, Engine/gearbox Oct.7

Ace-Garageguy

I appreciate that accuracy, Bill. I've given up 'accurate' and will now settle for  'plausible'.

I do hope you can find an answer that you can live with. I so want to see you complete this build. Of all the W.i.P.'s you have posted, this is the one I most want to see you finish.

I am ready to start a T.R.o.G. style build for this latest group build. Your builds serve as inspiration for me, I hope I can do half as good as you do.

30 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

...I've given up 'accurate' and will now settle for  'plausible'...

"Plausible" definitely works for me too. There are as many different ways to do something that will work as there are car builders, but some solutions work better than others, and I just kinda try to find the one that looks cleanest and best thought-out to draw my own inspiration from.

I figure everything anyone makes is built on what his forbears did, so I might as well try to choose the best that's out there to copy, or at best, to improve on.

The only reason I finally became a reasonably decent fabricator in real life is because I've been looking at what other people have done for decades, and learned from their sometimes ugly work as well as their sometimes brilliance.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy if something I show here provides inspiration to someone else, 'cause other guys' work has certainly inspired me.  :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

@Ace-Garageguy I would have liked to see you finish the four banger, as I have another build in mind that I’d love to use a hopped up four in. 

What's a bugger is that though I've found all the vintage Amal and SU carb refs I could possibly need, I've apparently misfiled the Riley 4-port head shots Dennis sent me back in 2012.

I know I still have 'em, but I don't know how I labeled them, and I don't have time to go through tens of thousands of pix right now.  :(

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What's a bugger is that though I've found all the vintage Amal and SU carb refs I could possibly need, I've apparently misfiled the Riley 4-port head shots Dennis sent me back in 2012.

I know I still have 'em, but I don't know how I labeled them, and I don't have time to go through tens of thousands of pix right now.  :(

All good dude, I’m sure a little google sleuthing will help me! You have other builds to concern yourself with. 

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

@Dennis Lacy Bill needs a favor, see above... -KK

20 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

Bill pre-war builds are always a bit of a challenge!  Your start is impressive on so many levels... using resurrected parts is a passion of mine and creates their own set of inherent problems, as well!  -KK

model a four banger with su carburetor - Bing images

Thanks for the image links. More Fodder for the Idea Mine

• Like 1