Model Cars Magazine Forum

On-Line How-To #7 - or how to take nearly 30 years to complete a simple, near box stock kit buildup....

tim boyd

In my continuing series of 10, 20, and 30 year or more projects that are now reaching completion comes this buildup of the subject AMT kit.

DSC_0041-vi.jpg

The original body was painted, decaled, and trimmed back in 1983 or so as part of an article on using 1/144 scale airline decals to easily replicate early 1980's graphic treatments on model cars without getting involved in complex painting and taping operations.

DSC_0038-vi.jpg

The project never progressed beyond that until this October, when I got the bug to pull it out (for what, the 100th time?) and (for the first time) actually finish it. This was a semi-quickie, "slump buster" type build, so it won't win any awards for detail or quality of workmanship. But it is a fun project, and the On-Line article gives you a pretty good idea of what it is like to build the kit, as well as some hints to assure a better outcome.

DSC_0007-vi.jpg

Take a look at the link directly below for this, and other Boyd On-Line How-To projects if you haven't seen them before. And, as always, thanks for looking! TIM

http://public.fotki....d-on-line-ho-3/

That looks very nice. I guess there would be no problem polishing the paint after 30 years. : )

Cobra....right you are. I took after the paint with three successive applications of The Treatment for Model Cars wax. As usual, expecially with 29 year old paint, polished up really nicely. Now mind you, there is no way this paint job would be considered acceptable by today's Micro-Mesh super smooth standard, but for the early 1980's, it wasn't bad.

Best regards...TIM

Hi Tim, I remember that story! Thought it was a really cool idea. I never searched for the graphics... I've got one of those on the back burner too. I had started it last year or so. It's a fairy simple kit, but I had to add details and improvements. You know how that goes..... Hmm, better dive in and do something about it I guess. Any chance of you heading my direction?