Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

First off I have to say thanks to myself, I felt good enough this week to go out twice!

I went to my closest hobby shop, an aircraft place, and got some glues and paint, second time in the last 10 years.

Friday I went to Panther Hobbies in the west end of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for the first time in the last 10 years, check it out, GREAT place.

I also got some trades in the mail and will post in the "great traders" area when the other ends of my trades get the stuff I shipped.

I got 4 IMSA-type kits, one that mysteriously turned into a Funny Car and another that was a RainX-in-a-bag with no decals that the sender added some great decals to, also a Caddie promo.

I am a very happy camper :)

models2012june2score1.jpg

Bob

Brought her home this morning, no more Buick LeSabre for this girl LOL!! It's a '93 Trans Am with the 5.7L LT1 V8, auto, 3 owners and not a speck of rust. Zero accidents, super clean history & garage kept it's whole life. I'm on cloud nine :D :D :D

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

Edited by TurboKitty

Last night, after getting home from work, I saw a nice package from UPS on my doorstep. Three 12 ounce aerosol cans, a bag of tack cloths, and a gun handle for the spray paint can to give my forearms some rest. The items were all bought from www.automotivetouchup.com. I found that site when doing a quick search on google for some brand of paint that closest matched the Admiral Blue Metallic paint of the 1996 Grand Sport. I did my first test run today, and the primer adhered to the paint and did not eat up the plastic. Looking at the ingredients in the paint, there are some pretty "hot" solvents in there. So thin coats will be a MUST! The primer also went on fairly thick, but that was okay for me as it covers up minor imperfections and shrinks up a bit as it dries. I sprayed the parts a few hours ago, and the odor of solvent on them is just about gone.

The odor is STRONG on these things though. They are lacquer paints, and I don't have the cans next to me right now so I can't check, but I believe one of them is an acrylic lacquer and one is a non-catalyzed urethane lacquer. So I'm not even risking spraying these in the little booth in the room I have where there is ventilation. I am doing all spraying outside. They then sit out there for a bit until i bring them into the ventilated room right near an open window. These are where the parts are sitting right now. I'm going to go and let these sit for a few days before I apply the basecoat. Although the cans are a typical 12 ounce size, the paint comes out pretty quickly so in spraying over all the parts with a few primer coats, the can is just about empty.

If this works out as I'm thinking it should, it opens up a whole new resource for factory matched colors. The three cans of paint, the tack cloths, and the gun handle cost me about $50 total. So it's not fully cheap, but thus far it's looking like it's worth it.

I got some Fujimi Ferrari 430 GT kits. Looks like they used the Challenge kits and just added a wing. Don't care for the graphics and plan on doing something else with them anyway !!016-vi.jpg014-vi.jpg

Also got these a couple weeks ago to make Senna's car with !!! 653401266_9831814_1777311250_o-vi.jpg_653401266_9831960_875382545_o-vi.jpg

Nice pick-up with the photo-etch kit. I love mine, and the more I use it, the better I get. The most difficult part is developing the plate after you've exposed it to the sun. (And use noontime sun to expose it. It takes mere seconds for it to turn the dark blue color indicating that it has hardened). I messed up countless times by using too strong a lye solution, or leaving it in there too long. If you can master that part, the act of ensuring the front and back are registered with each other is pretty simple (It's amazing what a tiny hole on opposite corners can do to help you line things up). The etching itself is the easiest part. I could not have finished my 1/16 '88 Corvette without it.

Also, as an update to the automotivetouchup.com paint that I got, the primer did not eat the plastic, and today I put the first coat of Admiral Blue Metallic on the hardtop. (My test piece). It went on very easily and covered great without using a ton of paint. It also dries to a dull, pretty much flat, finish which lets you see that it has cured. No damage to the plastic. I'll smooth it out with some rubbing compound, if that's even needed, and hopefully get the clear coat on this weekend. If the decals can survive the clear coat, I'll be in great shape with this model. (Going to test the decals on this hard top as I'll be using a convertible top I'll either scratch-build, or swipe from a different 1/24 scale Corvette Convertible, as the Grand Sport Corvette pretty much only had a White Convertible top for it).

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...