Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

In today from missing link

Base line bench seat interior for a 68 Roadrunner( same interior as in the Project Six Pack 1969 Roadrunner )

Resin Grilles ( 2 of them ) for the Lindberg 1964 Plymouth - to do it as a correct Hemi car

AND a resion early 70's Ford 2 ton truck cab for one of my ramp bed trucks conversions

And I have to say these are hands down the best resin parts I've had in my hands to date, bar none.

The grille could almost pass for injected stryene parts, it's that nice .

This was waiting for me when I got home today. I've been hunting these late '60's Pontiacs ['67, '68' '69] for some time now but this is the first one I've been able to find that I could afford. A bit of a glue bomb but I've saved a lot worse. :D

IMG_1212-vi.jpg

Can't wait to see this one after "The Miberry Magic"!

That's a great idea Peter! I'm looking for an appropriate Pink Panther figure for the driver's seat right now. I also have a want ad for a steering wheel like this one...

P1020180large_856_500_70_sha_s_c1_center_center_0_0_1.jpg

I think the Vandal has a decent one, but I don't want to open my sealed kit! :P

How about using a PE steering wheel center with the centers bent up at an angle. Then perhaps a small styrene circle (cut one out of sheet plastic and sand the edges round) or an appropriate sized O ring?

Later-

20120521_124501.jpg

20120521_124558.jpg

20120522_115022.jpg

This last Saturday was the Kalamazoo toy show. I picked up a Monza promo, the combo pack 1969 1/12 1/24 Camaro kit and afterwards I bought a set of flexi files from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. When I came home, my wife had picked up a Ferrari kit at a garage sale.

With my '88 Vette build now complete, I decided to go back to the "standard" scale kits and picked up the Monogram 1996 Grand Sport kit. I remember building this one as a kid and being amazed at how well the parts fit together, and how detailed the parts were. Now that I have more skill and more patience, I am going to open up the doors on the kit. The kit is designed with the interior door panels separated in a such a way that making these door functional should be pretty simple. Also having had a good night playing cards this past week, I had the funds to pick up some detail parts and the correct paint color. With help from Michelle (TurboKitty), I was also able to get the correct engine/transmission combo for this kit. (Monogram messed up and gave the kit an automatic transmission for the LT4 engine which is completely wrong. All LT4s in the Grand Sport package had a 6-speed manual transmission. Monogram's ZR-1 kit has the proper transmission, and Michelle was kind enough to send along the correct parts so that my engine will be the proper 6-speed. THANK YOU MICHELLE!!!!! :P ).

96monogramgrandsport.jpg

admiralbluemetallicbody.jpg

I found a website (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/) that can provide every factory stock color out there. They offer small bottles, large bottles, and most importantly for me, 12 oz. spray cans. So I picked up the gray primer, the WA128 color code for the '96 Grand Sport Vette, and a bottle of clear.

spraycangun.jpg

To make spraying easier, I also picked up this spray gun handle for the cans of paint. This will allow me better control when spraying, and reduce the stress put on my forearms and hands/fingers from pressing the spray button down.

tackrag.jpg

For proper cleanliness, I also picked up some tack rags. I figured since I had already placed a large order, this wasn't going to hurt me.

photoetchdetailset.jpg

Although I have my own photo-etch making kit, since the parts I would create already exist in a well done nickel-silver set, I saved myself some time and effort by picking this up.

redflocking.jpg

Finally, I need some red flocking for the interior and I already have some black flocking. In my stash of parts, I have some pedals for the interior (as mentioned earlier, the wrong transmission on the GS was further "wronged" by Monogram only including molded in brake and gas pedals in the interior so I need to add in a clutch pedal), and some wire looms for the engine. The GS kit has a clear plastic part for the distributor part on the engine, and it has 8 easy to attach-to connections for the ignition wire which I already have in the proper scale and proper color.

I should get the paint from the touch-up paint place sometime next week. I'll let you guys know if this stuff is compatible with the styrene plastic. If it is, then this store will be a GREAT resource for matching colors on production automobiles.

Hi styrene addicts. As some of you know from some of my threads, I made a big mistake by just diving into building my first model, obviously I messed it up. Looking through the Internet I found this forum which has been of such a great help. About a month ago I realized I needed to postpone the practice and start gathering info about which is becoming one of my favorite hobbies. Since then I've been stuck to this forum (my fav forum btw) buying magazines, tools and kits, and doing research in general. Thanks to one of the threads and to Dr Cranky I knew of something invaluable, something that is becoming my everyday source of info. Dr Cranky calls it the bible for scale model builders; I like to call it the source of brain feeding. I'm talking about "Building and Detailing scale model cars" by Pat Covert. Honestly I would dare to say that this magnificent book is one of a kind, being so it's very hard to find. It took me time to find where to buy it but here I have it. I got three days ago though mail. BuildingandDetailingscalemodelcars.jpg PRICELESS B) I highly recommend that if you don't have this books in your shelf, invest some cash and get it.

Edited by Hedgehog

i would definately test that spray can handle thingie there on something you dont care about and have an extra can of paint available. i have tried a couple of those things over the years and while they seem like they might work in theory, when it came down to it they were just a big pile of heythere and i totally lost control of the spray can, which i have grown quite accustomed to.

i didnt get anything this week...have been selling off my deceased friends slot cars on ebay...been keeping me busy.

0527121518.jpg

not car related but found this untoched still sealed General at my local flea market. Great kit, had one years ago and sold it, was lucky to find another one, this one will get built someday.

Edited by Darren B

Hi styrene addicts. As some of you know from some of my threads, I made a big mistake by just diving into building my first model, obviously I messed it up. Looking through the Internet I found this forum which has been of such a great help. About a month ago I realized I needed to postpone the practice and start gathering info about which is becoming one of my favorite hobbies. Since then I've been stuck to this forum (my fav forum btw) buying magazines, tools and kits, and doing research in general. Thanks to one of the threads and to Dr Cranky I knew of something invaluable, something that is becoming my everyday source of info. Dr Cranky calls it the bible for scale model builders; I like to call it the source of brain feeding. I'm talking about "Building and Detailing scale model cars" by Pat Covert. Honestly I would dare to say that this magnificent book is one of a kind, being so it's very hard to find. It took me time to find where to buy it but here I have it. I got three days ago though mail. BuildingandDetailingscalemodelcars.jpg PRICELESS B) I highly recommend that if you don't have this books in your shelf, invest some cash and get it.

I need to get one of these, where did you find it?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...