Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Cuda finished! 11-16-13

Dragfreak

interior should be done after the tach is in. seat is finished, harness done, chute done, dominator done,

103_0651_zpsda7a23f9.jpg

103_0641_zps8bb24794.jpg

chute looks pretty good and looks the same as the 1:1 on my dads vega

103_0652_zps5e61a9af.jpg

103_0662_zpsd69e389c.jpg

and dominator from Futrattraction is painted and the boosters are in. I think I got the color spot on compared to my dominator on my vega

103_0620_zps2cc085ea.jpg

103_0657_zps3b13bc2d.jpg

comments,suggestions,advice appreciated

At least I don't remember seeing these in this build, so maybe Ignition Coil would be nice addition? Maybe MSD Ignition box also, but that could very well be under the dash, as it is in the Chevelle that I race with. Otherwise I wouldn't add anything, everything just seems to be on place. Fantastic work!

Inspired by this one, I pulled out my JoHan Cuda and sprayed a clear coat on it yesterday.

DSCN6473.jpg

Thank you Niko yes you're right about the coil I haven't put one in yet because I can't decide what type of coil I want to put in it. I've been looking at the MSD coil my dads vega and other coils like accel, etc. to see what performance wise would be the best for the application and what wouldn't be too hard to scratch build so after getting the fuel plumbing finished ill get to making the ignition coil

Edited by Dragfreak

Can't wait to see it done.

Me too! ive never worked on one project for 8+ months! I definitely got into a project that before I started I never thought I could handle but as its wrapping up Im getting more and more excited with every little thing I get done that I actually accomplished it!

Edited by Dragfreak

I got to looking at my dads 421 SBC and I took some ideas I might use on the hemi, I think I can scratch a MSD blaster ss coil without too much trouble and I also think I might try to scratch build a moroso vacuum pump as it looks pretty easy to build and I will add a radiator overflow tank and a breather to one side of the valve cover. I don't think ill scratch a meziere water pump but ill definitely try to build a vacuum pump.

coil

103_0669_zps7b84bd8d.jpg

overflow bottle

103_0674_zps44730458.jpg

moroso vacuum pump

103_0664_zps1ab86e27.jpg

103_0671_zps650d2e22.jpg

103_0673_zps9d511761.jpg

I was just looking at this and it hit me with what the interior is missing! You should add a delay box and a few other electronics on the passenger floor.

That's just what I would do though. Looks amazing nonetheless

Thanks peter ill see what I can do with some electronics but I wont get a delay box because this is going to run in pro not super pro.

Edited by Dragfreak

paint looks great! is it posted somewhere?

Thanks! That one is not posted yet, but it shouldn't take too long to complete it, so it's possible that it will be posted in Drag Racing Models after it's finished. :)

If you scratchbuild the Ingnition coil, how about a little tutorial? The one that we have in our Chevelle, looks pretty much the same so I'd want to have a couple of those also.

If you scratchbuild the Ingnition coil, how about a little tutorial? The one that we have in our Chevelle, looks pretty much the same so I'd want to have a couple of those also.

Yes when I finish this vacuum pump ill start on the coil and get some good progress shots and then post them.

Looks awesome bud! The water pump is easy. Check out the one I scratched up from pics in my bee WIP. I used part of a 57 chevy oil filter and made the flange from styrene plus put the power wire on it. Not perfect but with everything going on in my engine bay it passes the visual test lol

Alright everybody better watch out because Im armed with some k&s aluminum tubing, a mitre box, a 1:1 vega with what I'm replicating, and some imagination and skill(more imagination than skill but we'll see what I can do). I should have an update of my progress a little later and I doubt you'll even recognize this bad boy!

heres some teaser pics of what ill be doing throughout the night, pretty ,much everything you see will be scratch built except for the jesel belt drive, probably not the motor plate(ill kick it around and maybe do it), and the alternator wont be a MSD. other than that get your popcorn ready and sit down for a show of a brand new meziere water pump, moroso vacuum pump, small crank pulley, and a breather for the valve cover and a vacuum pump breather. I wont get it all done tonight so some will get done tomorrow and probably finished late tomorrow early Wednesday. keep tuned for periodic updates on what Im doing.

103_0681_zps86a628dd.jpg

103_0683_zps888b529c.jpg

103_0686_zpsdda00d1f.jpg

103_0687_zpse4a8fbee.jpg

What will you use to replicate the old sock?

:)

good question, I have no idea! i'll probably cut a small piece of an old sock and dip it in some royal purpal oil to get the accurate appearance

heres the latest I got the small crank pully started, and vacuum pump is completed and after the rest is finished ill paint it.

I did a small tutorial on how I made the vacuum pump, I hope it helps you guys.

start of the crank pulley

103_0708_zpsea42ca97.jpg

making the vacuum pump, I used K&S aluminum tubing, evergreen sheet, 1/16th evergreen rod. nothings been glued yet so Iys fine that the pulley is crooked.

103_0701_zps88a5bcc9.jpg

103_0704_zps4afc5179.jpg

103_0705_zps444bd382.jpg

103_0706_zpsed5c48f1.jpg

and the finished product

103_0700_zpsf891f961.jpg

103_0698_zps3d570288.jpg

103_0690_zpsf7075200.jpg

103_0692_zpsc721fc20.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak