Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser over the frame headers..

They're not too hard to make. I made these from residential wiring stripped down to the bare copper line. The collector is just a piece of aluminum tubing crimped down around the tubes. I'll be making another set for my '57 Ford here soon, but this time I'll be using aluminum armature wire that you can get at any good crafting store.

The way I figure it, I'm going to have to alter any kit or resin headers to fit me specific application anyway, so why go through the hassle when I can just make them.The key is to have anything that can get in their way in place (temporarily) so I can see exactly how I need to route them. Drill holes into the heads, cut some flanges out, bend 'em up and crimp on the collector. Not much different than the process for making real ones.

If nobody else offers up some good in progress pics before I get to my Ford, I'll be happy to take pics as I go and write up a little tute.

vettemill2-vi.jpg

Edited by Gluhead

Thanks Gluehead.

I have made a few out of solder that looked "ok". I drill corisponding holes in the cylinder head, take four equil lengths of solder guel them at one end to make it a square shape. Then i proced to bend and rout them into the heads from the unglued end. I use polyolfin heat shrink tubing to use at the glued end to make the collector. I just put a piece of round stock aluminum in the other end of the tubing and butt it up against the squared end of solder beore i heat shrink it. Then I spray paint the whole thing before i glue them into the head.They never seem to look as good as how you made yours. Nice job..i am definitley gonna steal your idea. thanks again...Jim

Thanks, guys. :)

Jim, sounds like you've got the process down fine, just need a little more patience to take it where you want them. The only suggestions I can make is in the area of materials. I've done them with solder and heat shrink before, myself, and struggled with the finished piece. I used house wire on this set because that's what I had on hand aside from solder that was the right size...and got lucky that it worked out well. But I'll tell ya, that stuff was hard as nails to get the bends to flow! The aluminum armature wire I mentioned is more stable than the solder but much more workable than the copper. The aluminum was more tedious to work into shape than the heat shrink, but it allowed for far more finishing, and I think that's what made all the difference for me.

Good luck with 'em, and show us how it goes.

They are really easy to build from solder. Only those collectors are causing me trouble, but the Headers turned out okay on this one. First I drilled holes for the Headers, glued solder there and after that I just started to bend them.

PA060158_zpsee1216a6.jpg

211_zps4dcd0f80.jpg