Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stricklers, Old Reliable 1962 Bel Air

gtx6970

This one is more of a 're do ' so to speak. I built this one many years ago and found out a couple years later I had the wrong color int and exterior lettering. So I was never happy with it. Well, about 3 weeks ago while surfing Ebay I found the correct decals to do the light blue lettering.So I took it apart,,,,, carefully. Then removed all the decals from so many years ago with scotch tape hoping I didn't hurt the paint. ( that was fun ) Resprayed the interior in something to more closely resemble the blue/teal color int, and relettered the exterior of the car. It looks so much better now and back in the case it goes for the next 20 years. Enjoy, Comments both good and bad always welcome.

Yea, I know it's missing the chrome trim above the tail lights, this one was done back before I had internet access and not a lot of research material on hand at the time. I didn't even know there was supposed to trim there in the 1st place. ( Not a GM guy at heart )

OldRelaible1_zps4eb99f24.jpgOldReliable3_zps4e72e55d.jpg

Few moreNot much in detail , just added plug wires and fuel lines OldReliable2_zps46d59fc8.jpgOldReliable4_zps0a92cd25.jpgOldReliable5_zps73282a94.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

nice rebuild Bill. what color did you use for the valve covers? looks real nice. do you display your builds in your shop?

Nope, the only cars I have in my shop office are a few 1/18th scale diecasts ( various makes btw )

Built models are in a 5' tall 4' wide display case in the spare bedroom for now, till the finished basement family room gets done ( hopefully this summer sometime )

ps, I 'think' the valve covers are just testors silver clear coated. ( this car was done probably close to 20 years ago ) As far as exterior paint , I honestly don't remember . It's pretty slick so I think it was sanded and polished out, just don't remember brand / type

Edited by gtx6970