Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheelie Bars?

blabride

Hello,

I am a newcomer to the site which is awesome by the way, but I have been modeling for over forty years. I am taking a break from my normal WWII subjects to build some early 70's drag racers from my youth and I have hit a stumbling block, wheelie bars for Pro Stocks. I have found everything I need to do Arlen Vanke and Don Carlton's Dusters but cannot seem to find a source for wheelie bars for these cars. What do you guy's do? Is there an after market source for these? It seems kind of wastefull and expensive to rob an existing increasingly rarer Pro Stock kit for these. Has anyone discovered a feasible way to scratchbuild them? It seem possible if one can find a good suitable wheel. Maybe off a 1/64 toy?

Any help or advice?

Thanks

SB from Texas

Now as far as scratch building the type that came in the MPC Pro Stock series .... get some plastruct round in various sizes and for the wheels, get some spent guitar strings off a buddy ....... Guitar strings a great for many things for models

Bil, you just don't have enough pictures lol ................ AV did have them on his 73 car ....

LOL , I didn't have a single picture of a 1973-74 car,,,,,,,, till now .

I loose interest after 1972 so I guess I've never snagged any pictures of the later car.

Depending on your skill level they wouldn't be hard to make out of sheet and tube plastic, as jim said you could even use o-rings for the wheels on them to add detail. Look at photos of what you want and just copy it into smaller scale.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I do think I will build some. I am planning on the 72 Vanke car although I would love to build that 73 car with the decal on the trunk. The Slixx sheet does not have that. I have also been looking at my brass stuff and I think I can solder some up easier than using plastic.

John I went and looked at my son's old toys and found some of those toy skateboard wheels and yes they will work nicely. I don't think now that he is 26 and off married he will ever miss them either.

Steve B

I went and looked at my son's old toys and found some of those toy skateboard wheels and yes they will work nicely. I don't think now that he is 26 and off married he will ever miss them either. But Steve, what about the grand kids???? LOL

I also discovered a nice casting of the brackets with wheels in a resin set that Speedcity offers as an A/FX upgrade set. I wish they offered these separately. I may order a set and a body anyway. I have been wanting to check out his stuff.

http://www.speedcityresin.com/AFXPartsPackLayout.jpg

Steve B

Steve,

I can tell you that Scotts resin is amoung THE best out there. You won't be disappointed !!