Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wip: '94 F-150 Xlt 4x4(update 1/5/08- Two Toned!)

Casey429

I managed to fin the longbed version of AMT's kit at the LHS last week. It was open and complete, but not started. I also got it on sale, 40% off! I knew as soon as I got my real truck I was going to model it, I just had to get the longbed.

Here's what I will be building: My new/used 1994 F-150 XLT 4X4

Pearl025A.jpg

First order of business, make it a 4X4. Luckily I had the remains of a Revell 1980 Bronco which donated its TTB front suspension and transfer case. I took most of the TTB and adapted it to the AMT radius arms and I-beam ends. I also added a second pair of shocks as my truck has the quad shock option. The oil stain is on the real thing, a product of a Ford design flaw. The way the oil filter is mounted to the engine, it is impossible to get it off without spilling oil. The plus side is it will prevent rust :unsure: .

model190.jpg

I also added some aluminum stick to the front wheels for the 4X4's longer hubs. I will make up some automatic 4X4 decals on my computer.

model191.jpg

Next order was changing the 5.8 engine to a 5.0. Not much of a problem as the two are pretty much externally the same. I know the valve covers and some other exterior pieces will swap around. So, I scraped away the center of the 8 on the intake plenum to make it a 0. I also dirtied up the engine slightly as it is a used truck with 91000 miles.

model188.jpg

model189.jpg

I shortened the fron gas tank to a 16 gallon units as opposed to the 19 gallon. All part of the 4X4 conversion. This will not get weathered because I just installed a new front gas tank in my truck.

model193.jpg

I also painted the tailgate trim black. AMT is incorrect that the strip is red relective, at least for the year. 1987-91 had red, 1992-96 was black.

model194.jpg

I also opened the grille. If you look real close, you can see the recesses painted Testors steel. My truck has a darker color, but the testors was the closest I had on hand.

model195.jpg

Here's initial Mockup. I think I may need to drop the front a tad to get the slight rake my truck has.

model192.jpg

Sorry about the long first post, I'm just so excited to be building MY TRUCK!

Edited by Casey429

First off, congratulations on the new truck, Casey!! I just hope you didn't have to sell the F-250 in order to get it(I have an 86 F-250 4x4 with a 460 as well). If I were you, I would leave the stance as it appears. Looks as if you are well on your way to a well-done replica of your ride!!

No, Kurt, I still have both F-250's, the '77 and '85. I've got a WIP of the '77 going too, but It's definitley a long term one. The good thing about this version of the AMT kit is it has a sunvisor in it. I will still need to make a tonneau cover.

Her's some pics of the '77 WIP. I need to get a hold of some Dana 60's and a Bigjeepzz grille. I think I'm going to grab an AMT "The Cat" '73 Cougar for the engine and I have a C6 from a '66 Fairlane.

model099.jpg

model108.jpg

model109.jpg

I modded the bed to a standard longbed and have since finished the bodywork and made my own rear leaf springs. Fronts are next.

Casey, the 1:1 looks great, and the model is coming slong nicely. I have a long stalled project of building a replica of my daily driver- a 96 F150 Eddie Bauer 4X4

However, do NOT waste your time duplicating the emblems for the auto locking front hubs. The auto locking front hubs are absolute junk. It's not a question of whether or not they'll let you down, only when.

However, do NOT waste your time duplicating the emblems for the auto locking front hubs. The auto locking front hubs are absolute junk. It's not a question of whether or not they'll let you down, only when.

I've heard that from a few people. I've already decided to nix that plan and make some Warn decals for the project. I'm going to order a set of Warn manual hubs for my truck and get them on before winter hits.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's whats been going on since the last post.

I got the interior done. It's pretty straightforward witht the black and silver trim. Hoever, I added a photoreduced Kenwood KDC 222 radio, like my truck has. I also assed a photoreduced guage cluster since my truck does not have a tach like the kit inturments do (tach was an option back then).

model197.jpg

model196.jpg

I also added the Warn Decals to the front hubs. You can also barely see the prefoiled F-150 badges.

model198.jpg

Made a plate...

model200.jpg

And did the first full mockup.

model199.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments and questions welcome.

Great work! I have a '96 F-250 4x4 extended cab with a 460 in it. Awesome truck, and still going strong with 171,000 on it. Did you take pics of your own dash or did you get a pic somewhere else? Have a couple of these kits myself and I really like how you did yours. Later.

I'm not sure if Im going to add inspection sticker or not. Not a bad idea actually.

171,000? thats nothing for a Ford, just change the oil every 3,000, and its good to go for another 171,000. Anyway, I took a picture of my guage luster, cause I couldn't find one on the net.

• 1 month later...

Another long update. I've been chipping away at this one when time and weather allows. The Medium Calypso (main color) was custom mixed in a spray can at the auto parts store. I bought the Dark Tourmaline (insert) off of the shelf.

The chassis is mostly done. The only thing I've got left to do is make up a dual exhaust (I want one for the real thing).

model201.jpg

Close up of the modified Revell TTB set up.

model202.jpg

The engines in, and I think she'll pass as the 5.0.

model203.jpg

I also laid some color on some body panels. Heres the hood, looking good, IMO.

model204.jpg

Heres the clear I used on it. I found it at the store where I got my paint mixed. It's some of the best stuff I've ever used from a rattlecan. It's called U-POL Clear no.1.

model205.jpg

Thanks for looking, its down to the wire now.

She's got color!

model206.jpg

I also made up the would be Flowmaster dual side exit system. Made up of brass (extension pipe), solder (tailpipes), aluminum, (polished tips), and a parts box muffler. I painted the whole thing, minus the tips with Duplicolor chrome bcause of the mix of materials. It gives a good stainless sheen.

model207.jpg

Good lookin pickup! (both of them)

Never noticed but i got the 79 ford F150 done stock wheel base. here's a pic of it.

MVC741S-vi.jpg

I had the samething happen to me, Bu ti started the model project long before i got the truck givin to me, only problem is i made mine a 4x4 to move snow.

heres the 1:1

MVC537S-vi.jpg

Here's the scale version

MVC061S-vi.jpg

Nice trucks, MJ. Your's looks like its got many miles on it, but that thing will run forever, especially if it has the 4.9 I-6. The only suggestion I would make for your model would be to strip the grille and shoot it with the dark grey Duplicolor sandable primer. It really looks like the "Argent" finish found on the base model grille. I hear ya on the styling, Luc. Other than 73-79, the 92-96 are my favorite. I call them the last of the "true" Ford Trucks. They were the last years to feature vent windows, TTB 4WD (Twin I beam for the 2WDs, Solid axles on F-250HD/F-350), and the 4.9(300) I6, 5.0(302) V8, 5.8(351) V8, and the 7.5(460) V8.

Very nice, coming along great. I'm building the 1:24 scale version of my wife's bronco, too. I can't wait to see finished pics of this project! Also, would you have any bronco pieces left over from your project that you pulled the frontend out of. I would buy it from you and any other pieces of ford stuff your not using. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Two Toned! I still need to clean up some of the edges, but I'm very satisfied.

model209.jpg

model208.jpg

The 5.8, err 5.0 is looking well at home

model210.jpg

You can kinda see the scratched tonneau cover I made. For the 1:1 PA winter, I put the fibergalss Leer cap that came with the truck back on. I don't really care for it, because I think it looks like granpaps truck now (no offense to anyone that has a cap or is a grandpap). The tonneau I had on the real thing wouldn't have made the winter due to its age (off of dad's old 89 F-150 he traded in years ago), but I'm going to get a new one in the spring. I still need to take the paint off the prefoiled emblems, make up the 4x4 decals and come up with some kind of silver pinstripes. Anyone have any ideas what I could use to stripe it? I was thinking real auto pinstripe, but its kind of thick and I don't think I could get it near narrow enough.

P.S. I got a K&N Filtercharger for Christmas along with a DeeZee satinless tailgate guard. I'll be adding these parts to the model also.

Edited by Casey429

Looking good man. Yeah, these are the last "true" Fords just for those reasons. As for your pinstripe dilemma, try taking two strips of masking tape and setting them however far apart you want the stripe to be, where you want it to be, and then just mask off the rest of the truck and spray away with silver.